Front page still shows 6.0.10 as latest

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
BasMevissen

Front page still shows 6.0.10 as latest

Post by BasMevissen »

As the title says, the latest version on the front page is 6.0.10, while 6.0.12 is there already for a few days.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Front page still shows 6.0.10 as latest

Post by socratis »

Aren't you happy then that *you* know the site inside and out then, and you could find yourself with 6.0.12? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BasMevissen

Post by BasMevissen »

Well, I got notified by VB that it needed to install the extension package 6.0.12 as my computer had automatically installed 6.0.12 from the repository.
That was the point where I became curious :-)

Oh BTW, isn't time to send the Oracle legal team after those typo websites like virtalbox.org and the likes?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BasMevissen wrote:as my computer had automatically installed 6.0.12 from the repository.
Really? An auto-update? Usually the "update" flag isn't raised until a week has gone by. What's your repository?
BasMevissen wrote:Oh BTW, isn't time to send the Oracle legal team after those typo websites like virtalbox.org and the likes?
Which sites are you referring too? Example?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BasMevissen

Post by BasMevissen »

socratis wrote:
BasMevissen wrote:as my computer had automatically installed 6.0.12 from the repository.
Really? An auto-update? Usually the "update" flag isn't raised until a week has gone by. What's your repository?

Code: Select all

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list 
deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bionic contrib
(the [arch=amd64] is to hide some warnings as my system is i386 enabled too and there is no i386 vb repo, this is something for the documentation btw)

Code: Select all

Log started: 2019-09-04  10:46:55
(Reading database ... 
(...)

(Reading database ... 95%
(Reading database ... 100%
(Reading database ... 389213 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../virtualbox-6.0_6.0.12-133076~Ubuntu~bionic_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking virtualbox-6.0 (6.0.12-133076~Ubuntu~bionic) over (6.0.10-132072~Ubuntu~bionic) ...
Looks like from a manual apt-get update, (dist-)upgrade and I didn't look at what got upgraded.
socratis wrote:
BasMevissen wrote:Oh BTW, isn't time to send the Oracle legal team after those typo websites like virtalbox.org and the likes?
Which sites are you referring too? Example?
I actually named one, see how subtle the spelling mistakes are...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

So I decided to take my computer's life in my hands and try BasMevissen's "virtalbox.org" - note no 'u'. It's a common kind of landing template for domains that aren't sold yet, not a real attempt to undermine virtualbox.org. Seen them before, not really a problem.
BasMevissen

Post by BasMevissen »

The domain _is_ registered by someone to make use / abuse typing mistakes. And there is no guarantee that there is no script running to see if it can infect your computer...
"unsold" domains are domains where someone payed money for to register and gain money from... (even if is from ads shown)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BasMevissen wrote:Looks like from a manual apt-get update, (dist-)upgrade and I didn't look at what got upgraded.
Ah, OK, makes sense now... Thanks for that info.
BasMevissen wrote:websites like virtalbox.org and the likes ... see how subtle the spelling mistakes are
scottgus1 wrote:So I decided to take my computer's life in my hands and try BasMevissen's "virtalbox.org" - note no 'u'
Aha! No, I didn't catch the subtle difference 'BasMevissen', the post from'scottgus1' made it quite clear ;)

And I completely agree with 'BasMevissen', the domain is registered. It's actually for sale:
Domain Available
    virtalbox.org is for sale!
    This domain is listed for sale at one of our partner sites for $1,999.

Registrant Org      Privacy Protect, LLC (PrivacyProtect.org)
Registrant Country  us
Registrar           PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com
                    IANA ID: 303
                    URL: http://www.publicdomainregistry.com
                    Whois Server: whois.publicdomainregistry.com
Registrar Status    clientTransferProhibited
Dates               1,661 days old
                    Created on 2015-02-18
                    Expires on 2020-02-18
                    Updated on 2019-04-28
Name Servers        NS1.MYTRAFFICMANAGEMENT.COM (has 236,635 domains)
                    NS2.MYTRAFFICMANAGEMENT.COM (has 236,635 domains)
Tech Contact        —
IP Address          45.33.2.79 - 234,797 other sites hosted on this server
IP Location         Texas - Dallas - Linode Llc
                    ASN AS63949 LINODE-AP Linode, LLC, US (registered Feb 16, 2015)
Domain Status       Registered And Active Website
IP History          17 changes on 17 unique IP addresses over 4 yearss
Hosting History     8 changes on 6 unique name servers over 4 years
Website Title       None given.
It looks that 2 days after their registration as a Registar, Linode LLC registered the misspelled domain, and who knows how many else. There's a clue from the IP and the DNS server, but who knows how many pairs they have. Typical case of Typosquatting, I hate that, I hope they run out of money and die a peaceful painful company death! :twisted:

Enough digging... ;)
sixpack13

VBOX Mainpage

Post by sixpack13 »

VBOX Mainpage still shows VB 6.0.10 as current !
https://www.virtualbox.org/
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@sixpack13
At least you could be pretending that you're searching the topics before opening a new one. The very first topic (non-sticky) was talking about the same exactly thing! :)