[Resolved] Windows 10 - Host Only Adapters

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Darkwing Duck

[Resolved] Windows 10 - Host Only Adapters

Post by Darkwing Duck »

Hi

I'm using Windows 10 Professional as Host and Virtual Box Version 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.6.2). Fact is, I installed Virtual Box as Administrator. I'm not sure about this, but there was an windows update a few days ago. Before 3 Host Only Devices exist, now they where gone.

I reinstalled VirtualBox - no help When I create an Host only Adapter and try to use it on Guest I run into:
Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).
Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).
Fehlercode:E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponente:ConsoleWrap
Interface:IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
The log reads:
00:00:02.250219 NAT: DNS#0: 192.168.2.1
00:00:02.251004 E1000#1: Chip=82540EM LinkUpDelay=3000ms EthernetCRC=on GSO=enabled Itr=disabled ItrRx=enabled TID=disabled R0=enabled GC=enabled
00:00:02.251127 IntNet#0: szNetwork={HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter} enmTrunkType=4 szTrunk={VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter} fFlags=0x8000 cbRecv=325632 cbSend=196608 fIgnoreConnectFailure=false
00:00:02.251193 VMSetError: F:\tinderbox\win-6.0\src\VBox\Devices\Network\DrvIntNet.cpp(1768) int __cdecl drvR3IntNetConstruct(struct PDMDRVINS *,struct CFGMNODE *,unsigned int); rc=VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND
00:00:02.251217 VMSetError: Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter'
00:00:02.251250 VMSetError: F:\tinderbox\win-6.0\src\VBox\Devices\Network\DevE1000.cpp(7986) int __cdecl e1kR3Construct(struct PDMDEVINS *,int,struct CFGMNODE *); rc=VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND
00:00:02.251252 VMSetError: Failed to attach the network LUN
00:00:02.251262 PDM: Failed to construct 'e1000'/1! VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND (-3600) - The networking interface to filter was not found.
00:00:02.264183 AIOMgr: Async flushes not supported
NICs
NICs
NICs.jpg (30.27 KiB) Viewed 154550 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 - Host Only Adapters

Post by mpack »

VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND happens when you bridge to a device that doesn't exist, AFAIK it has nothing to do with host-only networking (hostinterfacenetworking != hostonlynetworking).

Windows 10 feature updates sometimes rename physical NICs, i.e. <whatever> becomes <whatever>#2. That would certainly break bridged networking.

In any case the cure is to use the VM settings | Network panel to reselect the NIC you want to bridge to.
Darkwing Duck

Post by Darkwing Duck »

Thanks.

I checked that one, and as far as I can see, the correct interface is selected.
I even dropped and recreated it. :(
Selected NICs
Selected NICs
NIC2.jpg (56.27 KiB) Viewed 154540 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

It looks like I was wrong before: looking more closely it does seem that the VM is configured for host only networking. Obviously it isn't finding the "Host Only" virtual Ethernet cards on your host.

I recommend that you uninstall VirtualBox (this will not do anything to data, i.e. to your VMs). Then reinstall using "Run as administrator" to run the installer. Do this even if your user account already has admin rights. Make sure you are logged in as the final user while you do this.

p.s. I notice that you're showing me the configuration for virtual network adapter #2. What do you have for adapter #1? Is it possible that the error refers to adapter #1?
Darkwing Duck

Post by Darkwing Duck »

Hi mypack, thanks a lot.

Well, I fixed this issue as You suggested. :D

I uninstalled VMBox and did an reboot.
The interfaces have been gone, as I expected.
Then, I did an installation "as admin", added 3 hostonly adapters.
After an reboot (just to make shure) the interface where visible.
I added them to the virtual maschine - and it works fine.
I'm a little bit suprised about this one.
Running under Windows 8, I never run into this error.

Regards
Christian
Darkwing Duck

Post by Darkwing Duck »

I just noted a confusing fact.
I added 3 Host-Only NICs, which went fine.
They where listed as NICs on the host - looks fine....
Then I added them to the guest and tried to start the guest.
Guess what? Right, the NICs where not found, the guests did not came up. :shock: :shock:
So, I did an reboot of the host. :idea:
After this, the guests came up without any problem.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SirLouen
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux and Windows Server

Post by SirLouen »

Darkwing Duck wrote:So, I did an reboot of the host. :idea:
You did not even needed to do a host reboot. Just by disable and reenabling the interfaces in the Windows Network section

Here is my solution
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94568&p=456926#p456926

Tried with two soft (Genymotion + Flywheel) and worked flawlessly with both
Gapman

Re: [Resolved] Windows 10 - Host Only Adapters

Post by Gapman »

This worked for me:

Code: Select all

Create a new adapter
  File -> Host Network Manager -> Create

Select VM, point to new Host Only Adapter
  VM Settings -> Network 

Delete Old Adapter
   File -> Host Network Manager -> Remove

Reboot VM
MikeDQin

Post by MikeDQin »

You did not even needed to do a host reboot. Just by disable and reenabling the interfaces in the Windows Network section
The above did the trick for me. Re-install VirtualBox didn't help. But disable/enable Host-Only Ethernet Card Worked for me. Cheers!
miguelacv

Post by miguelacv »

Hi, I had the same issue and fortunately I could solve it. I hope it works for you as well.

Search and install the files netlwf and netadp6 into the directories:

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netlwf
C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netadp6

Note: In order to install these files you should use right button--> Install. the last step would be restart the virtualbox and try.

Please let me know if this solution works for you too.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please ignore that advice, no such VirtualBox driver files exist, and anyway that is not the correct place for them, as that is simply the source folder for the drivers which VirtualBox will install in Windows\System32 when necessary. Best let the VirtualBox installer choose the correct drivers for your system, and install them in the proper place. And make sure to use "Run as administrator" to ensure that the installer has permissions needed to do so (driver installation requires elevated rights).
Steven Yip

Post by Steven Yip »

Code: Select all

There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: ["startvm", "feca4e47-730a-4a51-b5e7-c00bb03b1b82", "--type", "headless"]

Stderr: VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #2' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).
VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole
Hi guys, I managed to solved this issue by disabling all VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #*, under the Control Panel > Network & Internet > Network Connections.
Then I ran $ vagrant up, and it successfully created another adapter and I managed to SSH into the VM.

Hope this helps anyone.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Steven Yip wrote:I managed to solved this issue by disabling all VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter #*
This fits with the info above:
SirLouen wrote:disable and reenabling the interfaces in the Windows Network section
Steven Yip wrote:Then I ran $ vagrant up
Vagrant is 3rd-party and uses Virtualbox. For future readers, 'vagrant up' is not part of the Virtualbox canon.