VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED with Win host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kharpainch

VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED with Win host

Post by kharpainch »

Hello to everyone

I have a HP Zbook with Windows 10 enterprise edition and I want to use VirtualBox on my MSATA drive 120GB. I have tried a lot and most of times I receive error messages "Failed to Open Session" or " Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED). " …. below are the specs of Laptop hardware.....Windows is 64 bit
Processor = i7, 4700MQ (2.4 GHz, 1600MHz, 6MB L3 cache, 4 cores)
Chipset = Mobile Intel QM87
RAM = 32 GB
Graphics = NVIDIA Quadro K3100M with 2GB dedicated video memory
Display = 17"
Storage = SanDisk UltraII 480GB SSD
SATA 1.5TB
MSATA 120GB

Kindly help me in this issue. I want to use Virtual Box for Linux learning and others....
I appreciate your help in advance.
thanks and regards
Last edited by socratis on 31. Aug 2019, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to something more appropriate.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED with Win host

Post by socratis »

kharpainch wrote:Kindly help me in this issue
First and foremost you should be helping yourself. For example by searching the webs for something unique that identifies your problem. The unique part is the error, and more specifically the "VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED" part. Start by searching for that, and restricting it to the VirtualBox forums, something like:
  • 
    VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED site:forums.virtualbox.org
You'll most probably find a gazillion of result, most of them pointing to the solution: "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests". Read the whole thread and you'll know what to do...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
leon1912
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, macOS

Post by leon1912 »

Hello,
today I want to start a virtual machine, but I've got an error message.
Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED)
What can I do?

I attach the log of it.
Maybe it is important to say that I setup Hyper-V today.

Have a nice Weekend!

Best regards
leon1912
Attachments
VBox.log
(35.36 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Hardware:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
RAM: 16GB DDR4
AMD-V™ is activated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@leon1912
I merged your thread with a similar one that deals with the same issue, please read it from the beginning. It really helps if you search the forums before posting a new thread. From your log:
00:00:04.237627 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:04.298388 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
It seems that you have a Hyper-V component enabled. You can tell if this is true from the status bar where the "slow" icon (Image) shows. Look at the topic "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" for some Hyper-V enablers that we're aware of so far.

If VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, where proper, hardware virtualization is actually available, then the standard virtualization icon (Image) would show.

Changing the whole thread's title from "HP Zbook and Windows Enterprise 10 issues" and "VirtualBox Error" to something more appropriate. Moving the whole thing from "Using VirtualBox" to "Windows Hosts".

PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps you, it helps us, it helps the server, it helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.