[Resolved] Installing virtualbox on backported Debian Stretch

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
quakeboy02

[Resolved] Installing virtualbox on backported Debian Stretch

Post by quakeboy02 »

I've got an Asus VC66-C computer, which uses an Intel Copperlake processor. I had to use the backported kernel to be able to use the sound device. I am unable to get virtualbox working as there is no vboxdrv. I assume it's because of the backported kernel. I installed the backported virtualbox, but still no vboxdrv. Has anyone else run into this and found a solution?
Last edited by socratis on 29. Aug 2019, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installing virtualbox on backported Debian Stretch

Post by socratis »

quakeboy02 wrote:I installed the backported virtualbox
Don't use the distro-specific VirtualBox, use the official one from the Download VirtualBox » Linux distributions, it's the only one supported here, and the only one that's guaranteed to work.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
quakeboy02

Post by quakeboy02 »

Sorry for not replying earlier. I'm not getting any notices from any boards for some reason. I've just started the download, and hopefully that'll take care of it.

Bob
Last edited by socratis on 29. Aug 2019, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
quakeboy02

Post by quakeboy02 »

D'oh! I must not have noticed in earlier attempts that I needed to install the headers for the backported kernel. Once I did that I got a vboxdrv. So, I think it's OK.

Bob
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

quakeboy02 wrote: I'm not getting any notices from any boards for some reason
User Control Panel » Board Preferences » Edit posting defaults » Notify me upon replies by default: YES.
quakeboy02 wrote:I needed to install the headers for the backported kernel. Once I did that I got a vboxdrv.
You must have gotten an error message that the headers were missing. If not, then that's a bug. If yes, you have to do your due diligence... ;)

Glad you got it going, marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.