How to get smooth graphic performance?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Icebergue

How to get smooth graphic performance?

Post by Icebergue »

Hi guys,

I work as an IT Consultant and I got a new laptop yesterday. Since I need to use several clients and drivers I created a virtualbox VM where I was planning to install dev environments for SAP, Microsoft, etc.

However, after I installed Windows 10 as guest OS, guest additions, enabled 3d acceleration and enable 248MB for graphic memory, I used a client for remote connection and went full screen with it at1,920x1,080, the screen flickers in some menus, and it's not what is to be expected (missing options that you need to roll the mouse over to see them, those type of glitches.

Is it possible to solve this issue?

Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to get smooth graphic performance?

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Icebergue

Post by Icebergue »

Hi, thank you for your feedback. Uploaded the log as requested. Thank you
Attachments
VM log.zip
(35.55 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Icebergue

Post by Icebergue »

Hi guys,

Anythings unusual in the logs that hint a common problem?

Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.242498 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
00:00:03.714859 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
00:00:03.715445 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz"
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads). See "CPU Cores versus threads" and "Why is it a bad idea to allocate as many VCPUs as there are physical CPUs?".

Just check the link for your CPU above, and make sure you read the text in the "?" next to the "# of Cores" and "# of Threads" in that Intel page...
Icebergue wrote:I used a client for remote connection
I didn't see any signs of that in the VBox.log. Do you need the RDP connection? Are you only seeing the flickering if you're RDPing?
Icebergue wrote:went full screen with it at1,920x1,080
I didn't see evidence of a full-screen either. I did see however your resolution changing:
00:05:30.108887 VMMDev: SetVideoModeHint: Got a video mode hint (1920x1080x32)@(0x0),(1;0) at 0
Things you might try with the following order (might or might not work):
  1. Try the latest test builds.
  2. Lower the guest resolution to something like 1280x1024.
  3. Disable 3D acceleration.
  4. Change the VBoxSVGA to the older VBoxVGA.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.