Buffering output from some apps at higher resolutions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bart K

Buffering output from some apps at higher resolutions

Post by Bart K »

Hi. I've been using VirtualBox on Windows for over a year. I'm using the latest Windows 10 and running Fedora in VirtualBox.
I've recently updated to VirtualBox 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.6.2) and I'm having an issue with some apps when in full screen mode or selecting higher resolutions. Particularly I'm having an issue with 'konsole' - it buffers every other keystroke so if I type "abcde", after I type a I see it, after I type b, nothing changes, after I type c, I see "abc", after I type d, I still see "abc", after I type e, I see "abcde".

This makes the app unusable in full screen mode because it even buffers the enter key's output, so if I type "ls -l" and hit enter, I don't see the output until I hit another key. Vi is unusable.

The strange thing is that not all apps behave this way. 'terminal' works mostly fine, though I still see some minor output lag. But switching windows (using alt-tab) has the same problem - the first time I do it, I don't see anything, when I hit tab again, that's when the selection in the middle of the screen pops up - and it's on the second app already, so the first alt-tab brought up this selection window, it just wasn't visible.

I've made the mistake of updating both VirtualBox and Fedora (to the latest version) at the same time, so I don't know if it's some change in VirtualBox or in Fedora that caused this issue. But since it doesn't happen at smaller resolutions (at 1600x900 and below it works fine, though it's hard to nail the exact resolution at which the problem starts because it behaves strangely - when I sometimes select a higher resolution, it doesn't 'take' (no resolution is selected afterwards) but the screen resizes and this issue is not happening), this seems to indicate it's some issue with VirtualBox.

Has anyone noticed anything similar?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Buffering output from some apps at higher resolutions

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
Bart K

Re: Buffering output from some apps at higher resolutions

Post by Bart K »

I can't shut down now (in the middle of something important) but I saved it while running. Hopefully it will help. It seems to have recorded my resolution testing so whatever info you might want to find there should be there. Let me know if you still want it while shut down.
Thanks
Attachments
vbox.zip
(21.21 KiB) Downloaded 14 times