The Sims 2 no longer running on Windows XP guest (Direct3D issue)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Mario83w

The Sims 2 no longer running on Windows XP guest (Direct3D issue)

Post by Mario83w »

Hello.

I'm trying to run The Sims 2 on a Windows XP SP3 guest, which worked fine in the past, but I can't get it to work anymore after updating VirtualBox and creating a new Windows XP VM. I have Guest Additions installed with Direct3D support, and 3D acceleration is enabled.

The issue seems to be with Direct3D, as this error appears when I try to run the game.

Code: Select all

Direct3D returned an error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL! The application will now terminate.
I ran dxdiag and tested Direct3D Acceleration, and it works just fine.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue, and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks for your time
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: The Sims 2 no longer running on Windows XP guest (Direct3D issue)

Post by scottgus1 »

Version 6 of Virtualbox has new video cards. What was the Virtualbox version and PC OS you had when you were able to run the game? Also, do you still have the old XP guest available?
Mario83w

Post by Mario83w »

I don't remember the exact version of VirtualBox I used, but the the VM I recall playing the game on is a Windows XP guest (ran on the same PC with Windows 10), and it was last used in 2017. Unfortunately the virtual hard disk for that VM is corrupted, so I can't start it
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

How is this corruption showing? Error messages? It might be possible to repair.

The video part of Virtualbox is undergoing changes along with some attendant growing pains. I'm wondering if you might at least remember if it was 5.0, 5.1, 5.2? Maybe an earlier Guest Additions might work where later GAs are failing?
Mario83w

Post by Mario83w »

Odd. I tried temporarily downgrading to VirtualBox 5.2.32 and reinstalled Guest Additions, but The Sims 2 still doesn't work. However, The Sims 3 works on the same VM using the latest version of VirtualBox and Guest Additions, and that game also uses DirectX 9.c, so it seems the issue is specific to The Sims 2.

As for the corrupted VHD, this is what I get when I try to mount it:

Could not get the storage format of the medium 'D:\VMs\Microsoft Windows XP_ Home Edition\Microsoft Windows XP_ Home Edition.vhd' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
Callee: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

Regarding the corrupted VHD, please post the output of the following command when run from a Command Prompt:
  • cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"    <-- Change it if VirtualBox isn't installed in the default folder
    VBoxManage showmediuminfo "D:\VMs\Microsoft Windows XP_ Home Edition\Microsoft Windows XP_ Home Edition.vhd"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mario83w

Post by Mario83w »

Alright, I've attached the log file.

As for the corrupted VHD, this is the info that showmediuminfo gave me:

VBoxManage.exe: error: Could not get the storage format of the medium 'D:\VMs\Microsoft Windows XP_ Home Edition\Microsoft Windows XP_ Home Edition.vhd' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium, callee IUnknown
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "OpenMedium(Bstr(pszFilenameOrUuid).raw(), enmDevType, enmAccessMode, fForceNewUuidOnOpen, pMedium.asOutParam())" at line 191 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp
Attachments
log.zip
(34.24 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:11.256605 GUI: UIMachineLogicNormal::sltCheckForRequestedVisualStateType:
                Rejecting 'seamless' as is it not yet supported...
Are you trying to run the guest in Seamless mode?
00:00:28.879740 OpenGL: Set OpenGL scale policy on HiDPI displays (fUnscaledHiDPI=0)
00:00:28.879880 GUI: UIMachineWindowSeamless::placeOnScreen: Resize window: 0 to: 1360x768
Are you running on a HiDPI (Retina) display? Did you change the ScaleFactor of the VM or VirtualBox? How about trying a smaller resolution, like 1024x768?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mario83w

Post by Mario83w »

Yeah. Seamless Mode works fine on this VM, so idk why the log says that.
Are you running on a HiDPI (Retina) display?
I don't think so, I'm actually using an LG 20LS7D TV from 2007 until I can replace my old monitor which broke.
Did you change the ScaleFactor of the VM or VirtualBox?
Nope, I always have it set to 100%.
How about trying a smaller resolution, like 1024x768?
Unfortunately changing the resolution doesn't seem to make a difference.
zverek

Post by zverek »

Mario83w wrote:
Yeah. Seamless Mode works fine on this VM, so idk why the log says that.
I have the same problem. The above method did not help. What options exist yet?