[Resolved] Strange Bootup Output

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Sloan

[Resolved] Strange Bootup Output

Post by Sloan »

Hello Everyone,
I have a Windows 10 1803 Host and a Red Hat Linux Guest machine that was provide by Pega Systems for senior level training. Up untill the last week I have had no issues with it then either a Windows update or Docker install caused a complete crash. In order to fix the issue I disabled Hyper V which bricked my host OS. After restore I am able to toggle Hyper-V no problem, however, I have ran into another issue I was not experiencing before. At boot I get a message ( [My CPU Info] Warning this hardware has not been tested) This has always poped up, but what is new is right after it I get more output then I have screen. As far as I can tell the VM does not do anything after the output. A screencap of the output is attached. I would be thankful for any help with this issue.
Last edited by socratis on 27. Aug 2019, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Strange Bootup Output

Post by socratis »

1. Docker is a program that relies on VirtualBox, but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us, and with unknown consequences, especially the networking part. It is not supported on these VirtualBox forums/channels, they have their own Docker support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox (after a complete uninstallation of Docker), then we can continue this discussion.
  2. If and when you get an error with a clear installation of VirtualBox, please don't describe the situation in general terms, we need the exact, complete, unedited information. For example this is not a proper description of the situation:
    Sloan wrote:[My CPU Info] Warning this hardware has not been tested
  3. We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
    • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
    • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
    • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sloan

Post by Sloan »

Docker mention was just to give insight to events leading up to issue. Since host OS was restored it is not on machine. I have yet to be able to screen cap the warning message before it goes off screen, however, that warning message has always been their. It is just telling me that Red Hat has not tested the OS with my given CPU set, but it has not had any issues until recently. This is a new install of VirtualBox and new import of the VM ova. VBox.log is attached below. Thank You
Attachments
log.zip
Zipped log file
(23.52 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sloan wrote:I have yet to be able to screen cap the warning message before it goes off screen
Try to run "dmesg" from your guest. "dmesg | less" if you want to be able to scroll up and down, although the Terminal has its own buffer and you could use the scrollbars to see the error.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sloan

Post by Sloan »

This happens during boot I have no ability to type commands or do anything in the guest os.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

@socratis: What are the chances that a VirtualBox VM runs correctly with NEM?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@fth0: So far it isn't clear if VirtualBox runs "correctly" with NEM. The reports have been mostly negative so far, see VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V.

But then again
  1. How many users do you know that are going to login and post a success story? Most of the posts will be failures, by definition...
  2. The MS API for calling into their Hyper-V infrastructure is less than a year old (officially), ever changing (so, what's new) and the VirtualBox calls have to be adjusted with every release. For example, with the latest 1903, the Sandbox feature caused major headaches, just search for "VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED".
@Sloan
00:00:02.205456 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.258228 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
It seems that you have a Hyper-V component enabled. You can tell if this is true from the status bar where the "slow" icon (Image) shows. Look at the topic "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" for some Hyper-V enablers that we're aware of so far. Most probably the Sandbox feature was enabled, and now you have to resort to the command line and the "bcedit" command, see the article above for details.

If VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, where proper, hardware virtualization is actually available, then the standard virtualization icon (Image) would show.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

@socratis: Thanks for your answer, it matches and confirms my expectations in every aspect.
Sloan

Post by Sloan »

Hey sorry for late reply have been busy. The command "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off" mentioned in the linked form post resolved my issue. Thank you for your assistance. It has helped me a lot. I can now go back to working on that senior certification.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].