Bridged connection fails if NIC is unplugged

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hangerglide
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: ubuntu 8.10

Re: Bridged connection fails if NIC is unplugged

Post by hangerglide »

They are on different subnets, that's why they can't talk to each other. But why, dhcp is on with the host only adapter, and the vm is set to use dhcp. I ran ipconfig /release then /renew, and restarted the vm, what you see below is the result of that.

Host vbox

Code: Select all

d:\virtualbox>vboxmanage list hostonlyifs
Name:            VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
GUID:            161075b2-7393-4dce-9e36-67594ee033c5
DHCP:            Enabled
IPAddress:       169.254.0.94
NetworkMask:     255.255.0.0
IPV6Address:     fe80::409a:71dd:ca05:5e
IPV6NetworkMaskPrefixLength: 64
HardwareAddress: 0a:00:27:00:00:07
MediumType:      Ethernet
Wireless:        No
VBoxNetworkName: HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
VM:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\MS.TT>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : vm-o2010-bol
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : tt.lan
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : tt.lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-1E-89-A5
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7851:eb63:5fbc:9875%12(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.99.101(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 19, 2019 9:15:00 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 19, 2019 9:35:04 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.99.100
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 302514215
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-24-E9-FC-EE-08-00-27-59-6F-F5
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{99AFA039-8993-440C-B5C9-3B7A5D46C4F7}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\MS.TT>
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That Host-Only adapter's address is messed up. The "169.254.0.94" ip address is an APIPA address, you can google that. It essentially means "I can't find anyone to tell me what I should be so I'll invent something." Or it was manually set somehow.

Your guest is expecting traffic on 192.168.99.###. The Host-Only adapter's address on the host should be 192.168.99.1. Open the Host-Only adapter in the host's Network & Sharing Center, Change Adapter Settings, right-click the Host Only adapter, Properties, click "Internet Protocol Version 4", click Properties button. What does that screen say?

Mine has "Use the following IP address" and "Use the following DNS server addresses" checked, and the IP address is 192.168.56.1, mask 255.255.255.0, subnet or DNS server addresses empty. (My host-only is running on 56, yours is on 99)

Yours should be checked the same as mine, and the ip address & mask should be 192.168.99.1, 255.255.255.0 and nothing else.

EDIT - check the main Virtualbox window, File Menu, Host Network Manager, select the Host-Only adapter, check the Adapter tab, se if the desired settings are showing as listed above.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 19. Aug 2019, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

hangerglide wrote:dhcp is on with the host only adapter,
The Host-Only DHCP server defaults to handing out addresses between .101 and .254. The host-only adapter on the host OS is fixed IP, not supposed to look for DHCP.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:That Host-Only adapter's address is messed up. The "169.254.0.94" ip address is an APIPA address
That's because the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter is set to get its IP Automatically. Not sure where it's going to get it from, or why even that setting is there, doesn't compute.
scottgus1 wrote:File Menu, Host Network Manager, select the Host-Only adapter, check the Adapter tab, see if the desired settings are showing as listed above.
As scottgus1 said, File » Host Network Manager » make sure the Properties are enabled:
  • Adapter tab at the bottom » Configure Adapter Manually » IPv4=192.168.99.1, IPv4Mask=255.255.255.0.
  • DHCP Server tab at the bottom » EnableServer=Checked, ServerAddress=192.168.99.2, ServerMask=255.255.255.0, Lower=192.168.99.101, Upper=192.168.99.254.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hangerglide

Post by hangerglide »

I have run into APIPA addresses before but not so often that that address was understood to be one.

I've aligned the host only network so that it uses the value as laid down by socratis. That adapter in the host's network and connections center had a strange subnet mask so I made it 255.255.255.0. The dns server and dhcp ip addresses are blanks. The vm network still fails to connect. I deleted the original host only adapter and let it go with the defaults + the settings that socratis suggested. Detail: the newly created host only adapter uses 192.168.126.x. Now it fails with
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine win 7 pro x64 08 (o2010).

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
    • If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  6. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hangerglide

Post by hangerglide »

I performed all of those steps except for the anti virus part (I don't have 3rd party av). It loaded my vms the first time it started, and I found the extentions still installed. I was surprised too to see that my host only adapter still existed. Still fails with the same message.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

A good trick to try getting a possible answer is to web-search the CAPITALIZD_UNDERSCORE_SPACED_WORDS in the error, like this:

VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND site:forums.virtualbox.org

Some results suggest that one of the bindings that is supposed to be attached to the Host-Only virtual adapter on the host is not connected:
ethernet bindings box host-only.png
ethernet bindings box host-only.png (58.08 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
Try checking your Host Only adapter and see if the checked boxes in my picture are checked in yours. (Below the LLDP binding at the bottom of the above screenshot are three more bindings: IPv6, and two Link Layer Topologies, which are all checked, too.)
hangerglide

Post by hangerglide »

I have the same items checked.
I created a second host only adapter and enabled dchp; the settings that the adapter was created with, the defaults, seemed coherent. Set the vm to use that adapter only, and the vm started fine. But no network.
It must mean that the first host only network adapter is somehow busted; I don't need to fix it as long as the #2 adapter doesn't throw that error. But the network is still non functional.

It's amazing that such useful features exist in virtualbox, even if this particular one isn't working for me on this machine.