MSI Deploy with Auto-Update Disabled

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
relaxedcrazyman

MSI Deploy with Auto-Update Disabled

Post by relaxedcrazyman »

Hello,

I found the command to disable the update prompt through CMD: VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/UpdateDate never
Is there a way to set this during the MSI install? We are currently deploying through SCCM.

Thanks,
Chiraag
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: MSI Deploy with Auto-Update Disabled

Post by scottgus1 »

Check the manual, section 2.1.5, for switches for an unattended install. Does not appear to have a "no-updates" switch.
relaxedcrazyman

Any thoughts on how I can run this after the fact for the machines that have Vbox deployed?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Not really. Try the SCCM documentation? Maybe there's a way to run post-install .cmd's?
relaxedcrazyman

I was thinking about maybe doing the install as a task sequence in SCCM.
Before I go down that road, is there a GPO that can be deployed to disable auto-update? (I tried searching but could not find anything relevant)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Not specifically for Virtualbox, I'd think. You might be able to find out what internet site Virtualbox uses to query for updates & block that site in the firewall through GPO.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

relaxedcrazyman wrote:I found the command to disable the update prompt through CMD: VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/UpdateDate never
You got to remember that this setting is per user. So you have to find a way to "augment" the VirtualBox.xml file in the users' "C:\Users\<user\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml". You could do that by having a users' login script that issues that command.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Stickybit
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Stickybit »

Hi all

This dosn't seem to work anymore (VirtualBox 7.0.4). Even though "vboxmanage setextradata global GUI/UpdateDate never" does result in the following entry in the VirtualBox.xml file:

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/UpdateDate" value="never"/>

.. then updates are still enabled according to the GUI. Digging into VirtualBox.xml, I can see the below settings as well - and it would seem that these settings overrule GUI/UpdateDate:

<Updates enabled="false">
<Host enabled="false" channel="1" checkFreqSec="86400" repoUrl="https://update.virtualbox.org" lastCheckDate="2023-01-10T14:20:16.716287100Z" checkCount="1"/>
</Updates>

What would be the commandline, for actually deactivating autoupdate?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In addition to VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/UpdateDate never, use VBoxManage updatecheck modify --disable, as documented in VBoxManage updatecheck. ;)