Fatal errors during Virtualbox installation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jtwillia01

Fatal errors during Virtualbox installation

Post by jtwillia01 »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to install Virtualbox on my machine running Windows 10 v.1809 build 17763.557. I always run it as an administrator (right-click) but the installer starts rolling back at ~98% completion and I get a fatal error message afterwards.

I searched the forum but couldn't find out how to fix it.

I have attached an MSI log from the last installation attempt here.

Appreciate your help in advance. Let me know if I can provide any more helpful info.

John
Attachments
MSI6e64c.zip
(63.88 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Fatal errors during Virtualbox installation

Post by scottgus1 »

The log says the install went south trying to install a USB driver:
DIFXAPP: ERROR: encountered while installing driver package 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\USB\device\VBoxUSB.inf'
DIFXAPP: ERROR: InstallDriverPackages failed with error 0x54F
A google on "InstallDriverPackages failed with error 0x54F" did not return results relevant to that error number.

Googling "install error VBoxUSB.inf site:forums.virtualbox.org" leads to several interesting possibilities. Following the posts after this one: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=93367#p450791 may give an option.
Archee

Post by Archee »

I've decided to upgrade to a newer version today and unfortunately, the latest download demonstrates some issues and the installer has been rolling back on me.
I checked the signing certificates on the installer and appears like one of the SHA1 digital signatures has an invalid countersignature making the cert issueless while causing the underlying issue.
It might be the developer's error or something has been altered without their knowledge. Attached is a pic of the faulty certificate.
Attachments
invalid_ca.PNG
invalid_ca.PNG (13.84 KiB) Viewed 737 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@archee: Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose your title carefully.
Though you also have an installation problem, yours mayn't and probably isn't jtwillia01's problem. Follow the above instructions in your New Topic, and do mention in passing what the "newer version" is.