[Solved] VirtualBox unable to open

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
arla_king

[Solved] VirtualBox unable to open

Post by arla_king »

Hello,

Since a couple of days ago I've been unable to start VB at all, simply nothing happens when i attempt to launch the program.

I've tried reinstalling but with no luck.

Is there any where I can find a startup log for the VB application (not the VMs I can't even get that far) so I can attempt to figure out what is wrong?
Only recent major changes on my PC is the latest Windows update (KB4512508) as well as the Nvidia 431.68 drivers.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox unable to open

Post by scottgus1 »

Unfortunately we are light on some details. Please see "Minimum info needed for Assistance": viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48476

Also, please try reinstalling Virtualbox using this method:
1. Uninstall Virtualbox.
2. In a command prompt, run this command: shutdown -s
3. After your PC turns off, turn it back on and log in in your normal account.
4. Right-click the Virtualbox installer and choose Run As Administrator, even if you already have Admin privileges. Please run the installer exactly like this.
5. Try Virtualbox again.
arla_king

Post by arla_king »

The version of VirtualBox you are using, and whether you have installed the Guest Additions (in the guest).
VirtualBox-6.0.10-132072-Win - the latest version from the website.
Host & Guest make and version including 32 or 64 bit, and the amount of memory available to both.
Host is 64-bit Windows Pro with 32 GB mem
VM log file (as an attachment) See your VirtualBox users guide for how to locate this if using CLI or right click the guest in the VirtualBox main manager and select show log. Then choose save.
As I already wrote I can not start the virtual box main manager application at all
Also, please try reinstalling Virtualbox using this method:
1. Uninstall Virtualbox.
2. In a command prompt, run this command: shutdown -s
3. After your PC turns off, turn it back on and log in in your normal account.
4. Right-click the Virtualbox installer and choose Run As Administrator, even if you already have Admin privileges. Please run the installer exactly like this.
5. Try Virtualbox again.
This did not make any difference

Isn't there a log file somewhere for the main VB application, NOT the guests, that can help diagnose this issue?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

arla_king wrote:simply nothing happens when i attempt to launch the program
Nothing in the Task Manager? Not even monetarily? I would suggest to have the Task Manager open in the Details tab, sorted inverse alphabetically so that "V" shows in the screen and you don't have to go hunting.

There is a log for the program itself in "C:\Users\<you>\.VirtualBox\VBoxSVC.log" (note the . before the VirtualBox). ZIP it and attach it to your reply.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
arla_king

Post by arla_king »

There is a log for the program itself in "C:\Users\<you>\.VirtualBox\VBoxSVC.log" (note the . before the VirtualBox). ZIP it and attach it to your reply.
Thank you! Looking at the file it appears that the sinner is actually a Sennheiser GSX 1200 pro USB soundcard - as soon as I uplugged it a couple of minutes after trying to start VB - the manager popped up.

Thank you for your help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad I could help. Marking as [Solved].

Do you mind posting the VBoxSVC.log (ZIPPED) from when you had a problem, so that we can learn what to look for the next time something like that happens? TIA.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
arla_king

Re: [Solved] VirtualBox unable to open

Post by arla_king »

Do you mind posting the VBoxSVC.log (ZIPPED) from when you had a problem, so that we can learn what to look for the next time something like that happens? TIA.
I believe the attached log showcases the issue.
Attachments
VBoxSVC.zip
(5.04 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] VirtualBox unable to open

Post by socratis »

Thanks for the VBoxSVC.log. Here's what I think the offending messages are with the bold ones the most problematic:
00:00:47.684275          Getting USB descriptor (id 4) failed with error 23
00:00:47.684313          Getting USB descriptor (id 8) failed with error 1167
00:00:47.684317          Unhandled error 1167
00:05:20.851719 USBPROXY Getting USB descriptor (id 4) failed with error 23
00:05:20.851984 USBPROXY Getting USB descriptor (id 8) failed with error 995
00:06:40.280505 USBPROXY Getting USB descriptor (id 4) failed with error 23
00:06:40.281128 USBPROXY Getting USB descriptor (id 8) failed with error 995
00:18:00.591793 USBPROXY Getting USB descriptor (id 4) failed with error 23
00:18:00.592317 USBPROXY Getting USB descriptor (id 8) failed with error 1167
00:18:00.592341 USBPROXY Unhandled error 1167
00:18:26.375383 USBPROXY Getting USB descriptor (id 4) failed with error 23
00:18:26.375562 USBPROXY Getting USB descriptor (id 8) failed with error 995