opensuse leap 15.1 VM in VBox can not find VBoxManage and rcvboxdrv

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
RustyPuma

opensuse leap 15.1 VM in VBox can not find VBoxManage and rcvboxdrv

Post by RustyPuma »

VirtualBox of 6.0.10 r132072 is installed on windows 10 pro version 1903 build 18362.295
Extension pack is installed well, openSUSE leap 15.1 is installed well, guest additions is installed well, "rcvboxadd setup" runs as well.
Then I create an openSuSE VM in VirtualBox, but, VBoxManage and rcvoxdrv could not run, system reports command not found.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: opensuse leap 15.1 VM in VBox can not find VBoxManage and rcvboxdrv

Post by socratis »

RustyPuma wrote:openSUSE leap 15.1 is installed well
RustyPuma wrote:hen I create an openSuSE VM in VirtualBox, but, VBoxManage and rcvoxdrv could not run, system reports command not found.
I'm sorry, I'm confused... You say that openSUSE is installed, but in the next sentense you say that you can't create an openSUSE VM? Are you trying to run VBoxManage in the VM?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RustyPuma

Post by RustyPuma »

Sorry for my poor expression.
I mean I create an openSUSE in VBox, everything goes well, but when I run "rcvboxdrv setup" and VBoxManage in command line, the openSUSE VM system reports, command not found in both cases. I use "find" command, I cannot find these two command either.
RustyPuma

Post by RustyPuma »

Here is the VBox.log file in zip
Attachments
AppServer-2019-08-18-17-19-17.zip
(32.2 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You can't run VBoxManage in the guest, that's a command that exists in the host. And what do you want to do with VBoxManage, are you following a tutorial?

As for "rcvboxdrv", why do you need to run it? There should be no need to run it unless instructed to do so by the Guest Additions (GAs) installer. Did you get a message that you should run it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RustyPuma

Post by RustyPuma »

1. In Page 33, section 2.3.2 in User Manual, It says, to test if module installation is OK, then run "rcvboxdrv setup"
  2. In nowhere in the User Manual, it talks about how to install or setup VBoxManage, and it doesn't say where to input the command "VBoxManage". So I assume it is in the guest by default when start a VM inside VBox, and do it in command line in the guest. Anyway, where to type in command "VBoxManage" to configure the VM from the command line? I have problems with networking in host-only networking mode. I also want to play with it. there is a complete list of VBoxManage commands, shouldn't we learn and try it?
RustyPuma

Post by RustyPuma »

VBoxManage is OK now, I found it. Thanks!
What is "rcvboxdrv setup" doing for the installation then?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Unless you give me an answer on 1) where did you see that, 2) why do you care, 3) doesn't the manual cover your question, I don't know what to say...