[Solved] VirtualBox 6.0.10 fails to load VMs - Win10 64-bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Living L393nd

[Solved] VirtualBox 6.0.10 fails to load VMs - Win10 64-bit

Post by Living L393nd »

If someone can please help that would be awesome. I installed VBox 6.0.10 and I'm trying to run Linux (ubuntu 18.04) but the screen just hangs forever showing the boot stage and I have to close the window to get out. Tried with Kali 2019.2 also and same thing. I uninstalled Vbox reinstalled it, did a reboot and no luck.

Specs: Asus ROG Hero 2 GL504G gaming notebook
i7 8750H 2.2 GHz, 32 Gigs of RAM, GeForce RTX 2060, Windows 10 64-bit build 1809, Intel virtualization enabled in BIOS

I even set Vbox for windows 7 compatibility mode with no luck.

Heres where it gets interesting. I tried this with another laptop (lenovo thinkpad T450s - Windows 7) and it worked! Is my gaming notebook not compatible for virtualization even though intel virtualization is enabled in BIOS?

attached are screenshots of my config settings for Vbox. If someone can please help I would highly appreciate it!!! Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (52.69 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (33.66 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.45 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
Last edited by socratis on 18. Aug 2019, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox 6.0.10 fails to load VMs - Win10 64-bit

Post by socratis »

Living L393nd wrote:I even set Vbox for windows 7 compatibility mode with no luck.
You shouldn't have to do that, so please revert your action.

I have the suspicion that you have Hyper-V enabled. You can tell if this is true from the status bar where the "slow" icon (Image) shows. Look at the topic "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" for some Hyper-V enablers that we're aware of so far.

If VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, where proper, hardware virtualization is actually available, then the standard virtualization icon (Image) would show.

If that's not the case, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Living L393nd

Post by Living L393nd »

You totally ROCK socratis!!!! thanks a million :) the issue was i had Core Isolation enabled in Windows Defender and after I disabled it Vbox worked like a charm!

Btw in general do you recommend to leave Core Isolation disabled even when not using Vbox? I herd that it can cause issues in other apps too including lowering gaming performance and other compatibility conflicts. Would i take a major hit in security by leaving it disabled? Thanks again for your help!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad my hunch was right. Marking as [Solved].

As for the additional bells and whistles that MS is adding, I can tell you that if you enable any Hyper-V component, your VirtualBox will suffer. Their API is still new, so is the attempt from VirtualBox to use their API. Things will improve over time.

Security wise, I can't help you too much either. My WinPC is so old that yes, it does have VT-x but it doesn't have SLAT, so I can't use Hyper-V even if I wanted to. Do I feel more vulnerable? Certainly not.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.