Kali on Win10 Home 64 'Could not find an open hard disk with UUID'

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
VogonJeltz

Kali on Win10 Home 64 'Could not find an open hard disk with UUID'

Post by VogonJeltz »

OK. First TOTAL noob warning.

Installed VBox yesterday in order to set up Kali Linux VM. Installed fine. Worked fine. Open again this morning and...
Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {e9bb74fa-120f-4326-9eb0-6d5673ce1258}.
Result Code: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
I've seen posts which allude to this but I've either found answers that don't work or which I can't follow on account of my noob-ness.

Kali Linux 64bit v2019.2 on VBOX v6.0.10

VBox Log and Hardening log attached.

Please God help me.
Attachments
VBox_Log.zip
(66.79 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Kali on Win10 Home 64 'Could not find an open hard disk with UUID'

Post by socratis »

VogonJeltz wrote:First TOTAL noob warning
If you're a total n00b, then why in the seven kingdoms did you start messing with things? You should leave VirtualBox do its thing until you know better.

How do I know that you intervened manually? Let's look at your file structure:
00:00:02.511034 File system of 'C:\Users\Will\VirtualBox VMs\kali-linux-2019.2-amd64\kali-linux-2019.2-amd64.iso' (DVD) is ntfs
00:00:02.512339 File system of 'C:\Users\Will\VirtualBox VMs\kali-linux-2019.2-amd64\Kali\Snapshots' (snapshots) is unknown
00:00:02.512348 File system of 'C:\Users\Will\VirtualBox VMs\kali-linux-2019.2-amd64\NewVirtualDisk1.vdi' is ntfs
00:00:02.536466   Name              <string>  = "Kali" (cb=5)
Your VM is named "Kali". I'll skip the "C:\Users\Will\VirtualBox VMs\" part for brevity:
  • You do not have a corresponding directory "\Kali", but a "\kali-linux-2019.2-amd64\".
  • You do not have a "\Kali\Kali.vdi" but a "\NewVirtualDisk1.vdi"
  • You do not have a "\Snapshots" sub-directory but a "\kali-linux-2019.2-amd64\Kali\Snapshots"
This is messed up. I suggest you delete the VM from within VirtualBox, including all its files. Then move the ISO from the directory to your "Downloads", and delete the "C:\Users\Will\VirtualBox VMs\kali-linux-2019.2-amd64" directory manually from the Explorer.

It's not worth it untangling this mess by hand. Or is it? How much time have you invested in building this, more than 1 hr?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VogonJeltz

Post by VogonJeltz »

socratis wrote:
VogonJeltz wrote:First TOTAL noob warning
If you're a total n00b, then why in the seven kingdoms did you start messing with things? You should leave VirtualBox do its thing until you know better.
I'm hopelessly curious and decided to learn things. If you know of a solid 'go to' guide/tutorial somewhere for a reckless noob I'd love that sort of help. When I ran into trouble installing and setting this up I started making changes based on a couple of youtube 'tutorials' which have just confused things massively.

Thanks for your advice. I've just gone around again from the top and things seem to be working now.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VogonJeltz wrote:I'm hopelessly curious and decided to learn things.
Absolutely and 100% with you! Here's what I was doing; I would create a VM that I couldn't care less if it worked or not, if I would lose it or not, do my tests, try different things, study the file structure and the changes and learn step by step. Even better? Create a DOS VM for example, then clone it and study the differences between the original and the clone. Compare directories, compare .vbox files.

And of course the User Manual. You should have a searchable PDF included with your installation. If not, there's the on-line manual in PDF format, again searchable. Take advantage of that fact, and use it to search the PDF for the terms that interest you.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.