Share screen Skype is not working on Windows 10 guest (#18843)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Al08

Share screen Skype is not working on Windows 10 guest (#18843)

Post by Al08 »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18843: VirtualBox crashes with Skype and Windows 10 guest
Dear All,

I had an issue when I share my desktop screen via Skype. The recipient will see black ( or blank screen) on their end.
does anyone have this issue ? and how to resolve this for windows 10 guest

Regards,
Alianto
Last edited by socratis on 16. Aug 2019, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Share screen Skype is not working on Windows 10 guest

Post by socratis »

Try to toggle 3D acceleration. See if that changes the situation...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
happless_user

VirtualBox crashes with Skype and Windows 10 guest

Post by happless_user »

Hello,

Sound works fine. Can watch Youtube and use "Sound Recorder".

Joining a conference call with Skype also works, everyone can hear each other.

However, the VirtualBox window invariably disappears after anything from a few seconds up to around 5 minutes.

Tried to set ICH AC97 driver (uninstall multimedia driver in Device Manager, reinstall guest additions, reboot) but could not get Windows 10 to recognize it.

I would expect a BSOD if this was a Windows 10 issue...

Am running Ubuntu 18.04 Host and VirtualBox Version 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.9.5).

Zipped log attached.

Let me know what else I can do to help diagnose the issue. It can be reproduced reliably.

Thanks
Attachments
VBox.log.gz
(22.74 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: VirtualBox crashes with Skype and Windows 10 guest

Post by socratis »

There's not that much from the log, except:
00:00:00.656088 GUI: UIDesktopWidgetWatchdog::sltHandleHostScreenAvailableGeometryCalculated:
                Screen 0 work area is actually resized to: 1987x27 x 1853x1173
00:00:00.667758 GUI: UIDesktopWidgetWatchdog::sltHandleHostScreenAvailableGeometryCalculated:
                Screen 1 work area is actually resized to: 0x0 x 1920x1080
00:00:39.992617 VMMDev: Guest Additions capability report: (0x0 -> 0x1) seamless: yes, hostWindowMapping: no, graphics: no
Are you using a dual-monitor setup and seamless mode for the guest? Can you simplify that if possible? As in 1 main screen in your host and a normal windowed mode (not full-screen, not seamless) for the VM? It may not be audio related.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
happless_user

Post by happless_user »

Yes, so now I tried Windowed mode and only one monitor.

I use Windowed or Fullscreen and never Seamless Mode. However, the log entry reads as if Guest Additions are merely detecting a "capability" for seamless. So I uninstalled Guest Additions to get rid of that log entry.

Here is a run with: no Guest Additions, one monitor only, "Windows 10" vm in Windowed Mode.

Skype still works for a few minutes but also still crashes. Log attached.
Attachments
VBox.log.gz
(17.98 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

As I said your config looks fine, except those two minor screen issues that I mentioned. If it crashes even without those, then you could head to the Bugtracker and file a new report, or reopen an old one. Search for:
PS. Please don't try to obfuscate your logs again...
happless_user

Post by happless_user »

Thanks.

None of the other tickets seemed relevant so created a new one.
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18843
Hagbard

Post by Hagbard »

Hello
I have the same issue, share desktop or share window in skype for business the recipient will see black ( or blank screen) on their end, hovewer the third alternative there is is to share Powerpoint presentation works fine so what can be the problem? I will look in to this 3D acc... where i find it ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

3D Accleration is in the main Virtualbox window, click the guest, Display settings, Screen tab, Enable 3D Acceleration checkbox. Guest probably needs to be shut down when doing this. Guest Additions that came as an ISO with the host Virtualbox version should be installed in the guest, too.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I've been just told over IRC that 6.0.10 (and 5.2.32) contained a security fix in the 3D acceleration code, something that affects other aspects as well. It's also my understanding that Skype requires 3D acceleration. So, the solution so far would be to downgrade to 6.0.8 until this gets resolved.

I'll see if there's a ticket for this...
See ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18843
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Share screen Skype is not working on Windows 10 guest (#18843)

Post by socratis »

Merged a couple of related threads, moved them to "Windows Guests", added ticket information in the title and first post.
Hagbard

Post by Hagbard »

Hello again
I have VB Version 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.9.5), latest extensions and latest guest adition in windows 10 Pro. i have also both 2d and 3d acceleartion in VB. I have 2 seamless fullscreen windows. Its not possible to share screen or windows in skype for business, its blank/black screen. third alternative to share Powerpoint work however.
Any ide how to solve the issue?

New info. After tried a skype meeting with first of all open and share an powerpoint presentation, working fine, and there after sharing a window, now working :-) after that it was possible to share the desktop ( same session) . problem is that there is a delay of about 5 seconds so its not useful and as I described before it not possible to start the skype meeting to first share a desktop, again its just a blank/black screen EXEPT that it possible to see the cursor
catchy_nickname

Post by catchy_nickname »

This thread seems to be a mix of "cannot share screen in Skype" and "VirtualBox crashes in Skype". I've recently run into the second issue (crashing). It happened when I changed my USB headset audio configuraton due to the clicking and popping that comes with the emulated USB controller. Hopefully this info will be useful, as it seems to be a clear A/B case.

Host: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Guest: Windows 10 Pro version 1809
Lync: 2013
VirtualBox: 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.9.5)
Emulated USB controller: EHCI

Configuration A (Good, except poor USB headset audio quality):
- USB headset (047f:c039 Plantronics, Inc.) populated in the USB device filter section
- USB headset selected in Skype as the audio device
- No special host audio settings

Configuration B (Skype works fine for about 2 minutes, then VirtualBox crashes):
- Nothing in the USB device filter section
- PC speakers and microphone selected in Skype as the audio device
- VirtualBox audio routed to the USB headset in the host, using pavucontrol.

As stated, VirtualBox will crash hard after a couple of minutes when I use configuration B. The log doesn't seem to have anything useful, but attaching it anyway.

Oh-- just for fun I set the Windows power settings to maximum performance to see if it was something to do with putting devices to sleep, but this had no effect.

Thx.
Attachments
VBox.log
(106.36 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Can you all try the latest test builds? https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
catchy_nickname

Post by catchy_nickname »

I'm sorry to report that the same thing happens with the 6.0.11 test build. Skype call is fine for a couple of minutes, then a pop and a hard crash of VirtualBox.

Thx.