[Solved] No WiFi on Windows 10 Guest VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Fergus160

[Solved] No WiFi on Windows 10 Guest VM

Post by Fergus160 »

I have a Windows 10 host and have just installed a Windows 10 Guest VM and there no WiFi. I have installed Guest Additions and checked in Device Manager and the wireless adaptor is missing. I gave up trying to get a wireless connection on Ubunutu 18.04 and did not expect the same problem with Windows 10. Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by socratis on 14. Aug 2019, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: No WiFi on Windows 10 Guest VM

Post by scottgus1 »

The guests see only virtualized 'hardware', not the real hardware that the host PC has. Your guest will not see the host's wi-fi adapter

All of Virtualbox's virtual network cards are Ethernet wired cards. If you want wi-fi in a guest you will need to get a USB wi-fi adapter then use Virtualbox's USB filters to put the USB wi-fi adapter into the guest. If you try this method, carefully follow USB basics and troubleshooting to set up the guest's USB filter.
Fergus160

Post by Fergus160 »

Many thanks for the reply. Is there a list of USB WiFi adaptors that work with Vbox-Ubunutu? I saw a recommendation on the Ubunutu forum but the adaptor is now longer available on Amazon.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The Virtualbox forum does not keep a list, no. But you can google "USB wi-fi adapter site:forums.virtualbox.org" or similar searches to see what others have experienced.
Fergus160

Post by Fergus160 »

Many thanks.

Found an USB wireless adaptor that appears to work and followed the instructions on the link and set up a filter. The adaptor now appears to be passed to the guest (only tried Ubuntu Guest so far which is my preferred guest OS) and the adaptor has the check mark and WiFi is now showing up in my connections, but when I choose "select network" it keeps searching cannot find any. It should find my router and also my phone which I have set up as Hotspot. Any suggestions on how to continue? I tried switching off the wired connection but it made no difference. Should I now start a new thread?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Fergus160 wrote:when I choose "select network" it keeps searching cannot find any
That problem would be beyond me, unfortunately. You could try the Linux Guests subforum, since you want to use the adapter in an Ubuntu guest.

I'd also try looking in Ubuntu manuals & forums & see if there's any nuances between your guest's use of the USB wi-fi adapter and what other Ubuntu users report & suggest.
Fergus160

Post by Fergus160 »

OK, I now have everything working in my Windows Guest. WiFi finds my wireless networks including my phone and connects no problem. I will try and sort out the Ubuntu VM issue on another forum. Many thanks for your help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Good! Glad you're up and running Windows-wise. I'm sure the Linux gurus can tell what needs to be tweaked in the Linux guest. Have fun!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:I'm sure the Linux gurus can tell what needs to be tweaked in the Linux guest
Yeah, right. Have you tried a Linux forum? :lol:
Fergus160 wrote:OK, I now have everything working
Glad that you got it going with 'scottgus1'. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.