W10 guest crashes when opening shared folder with executable file inside.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
burnsrbeef

W10 guest crashes when opening shared folder with executable file inside.

Post by burnsrbeef »

Current Info:
Virtual Box Version 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.9.5), guest tools installed.

Host:
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa (64-bit)
16GB Memory

Guest:
W10 1903 (64-bit)
4GB Memory

In the log file, 01:51:26.044051 marks the point where I open a shared folder (or sub-folder) with any executable in it, which causes Windows to lock up. It appears Virtual Box then resets the guest. This was not an issue until a few days ago when I powered down the guest and took a snapshot, then made some registry changes. I reverted the snap, however, the problem was still persistent. I downgraded to VBox 5.2.32, still happening. I deleted the VM, moved the shared folder on my host, provisioned a fresh VM, installed W10 1903. Then, the first thing I did was configure a new shared folder, which worked fine until I placed an executable in it. I upgraded my OS (to 19.1) and tried both versions of VBox (all with the corresponding guest tools installed), still happening.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(24.92 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Croatian

Re: W10 guest crashes when opening shared folder with executable file inside.

Post by Croatian »

I am experiencing the identical issue. A shared folder from \\VBoxSvr contains a collection of various executable files in it, which are installers for various programs, debugging tools, etc. The version of VB is the latest as well as the guest addition in my Windows 10 guest. The Windows 10 version is 1903.
burnsrbeef

Post by burnsrbeef »

I was able to reproduce the issue on 1809 and 1709.1 as well, with Guest Additions installed, no further Windows Updates.
shellster

Post by shellster »

I have the same issue. Though I'd say it also happens just by browsing to explorer in the folder. This appears to only affect Windows 10 (though it is consistent). Windows 7 VM's still work fine. Also, since 6.0.10, I'm getting tons of bluescreens and memory errors. Went back to 6.0.8 and the associated extension pack, and now everything works again as expected. So this bug was definitely introduced in 6.0.10.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please search the forums before creating new threads, it helps everyone. See https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18766 and viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93359

Locking this one, no need to keep track of yet another thread on the same subject and moving it to the "Windows Guests" from the "Linux Hosts" area.

Please subscribe to the thread or the ticket so that you can stay updated.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.