Slow Windows guest with 100% disk usage

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
llamafilm

Slow Windows guest with 100% disk usage

Post by llamafilm »

For a long time I have suffered very slow performance in Windows 10 guests. Task Manager shows 100% disk usage although the speed is not very high. In this screenshot it's showing 45MBps read speed. The host is a MacBook Pro with flash storage over 1500MBps. I'm using a fixed size VDI. I'm currently on VirtualBox 5.2.22 but this has been happening for a long time across multiple versions. Is this a known issue and is there any way to make it access the disk image faster?
Attachments
taskmans.jpg
taskmans.jpg (106.18 KiB) Viewed 10317 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Slow Windows guest with 100% disk usage

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Windows Guests" from "OSX Hosts".
llamafilm wrote:this has been happening for a long time across multiple versions. Is this a known issue and is there any way to make it access the disk image faster?
Yes. Talk to Microsoft and see what the heck they're doing. I swear I'm going to get a screenshot of my physical Win10 installation and have it handy when a question like that comes up! :)

Having said that, there is one thing to check in your VM Settings » Storage » select your SATA controller » Use Host I/O Cache, check that.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
llamafilm

Post by llamafilm »

Hi socratis. I'm not sure what you mean by this. I do not have this problem on real Windows machines. The slowness seems to be particularly bad anytime Windows Update or "antimalware service executable" is running, but I think this is simply because they do a lot of disk I/O.
I already have Host I/O cache enabled for the SATA AHCI controller.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

llamafilm wrote: I do not have this problem on real Windows machines
I do. Exactly that problem.
llamafilm wrote:The slowness seems to be particularly bad anytime Windows Update or "antimalware service executable" is running
At this exact time. If you take a look at the Processes in the Task Manager, that's exactly what you see. And I'm still talking about my real PC.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.