Trying to get 2 Linux clients to talk to each other within VirtualBox

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
B00f@h@ck

Trying to get 2 Linux clients to talk to each other within VirtualBox

Post by B00f@h@ck »

Hi all,

Host machine is running Win 10 (so aware this might be in wrong section) with Virtual-box latest version.
The 2 Linux clients are Kali Linux and Metaspoiltable2 both running in the same Virtual-box.
The host machine is a laptop with a Ethernet and a WiFi adapter

For the life of me I cant get the 2 clients to talk to each other, I admit I'm a Linux noob having forgotten what little I knew years ago and hence why I'm trying to set up Kali and Meta to allow me to practice in a safe "sandpit"
I have tried setting static IP addresses on both clients and it made no difference,
I tried setting both client to "Internal network" under network settings - Kali found no network device and Meta set it's IP to 192.168. - obviously couldn't ping each other
I tried setting both client to "Nat" under network settings - both clients went to 10.0.2.15 at the same time - obviously couldn't ping each other as they where just pinging themselves. The Kali client can get out to internet while set to "Nat" but I can't ping it from the Win 10 host or Meta Client

All help greatly appreciated
B00f@h@ck

Re: Trying to get 2 Linux clients to talk to each other within VirtualBox

Post by B00f@h@ck »

I managed to get them to talk to each other using a "Nat Network"but now Kali will pull updates and upgrades but Firefox can't get out any ideas? I also cant get Kali to talk to the Win 10 host but since I'm mainly using it for learning linux and breaking metaspoiltable2 on it's not a major issue but more a quality of life thing so I can download stuff onto Kali as needed.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Trying to get 2 Linux clients to talk to each other within VirtualBox

Post by socratis »

Internal network has no pre-made DHCP server. You could have either assigned static IPs, or create a DHCP server manually.

NAT gives all the VMs the same IP, they're not meant to communicate with each other.

Which is why NATservice (NAT network) was invented. Why you're having specific problems with specific apps in your guest I think it might be something of a guest investigation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.