Sql based server software running in a VM.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bigjohn888jb

Sql based server software running in a VM.

Post by bigjohn888jb »

I have made a VM of Windows 2012 r2 on Virtualbox 6.0. This VM is residing on an existing Windows 2012 R2 (a completely different install). The VM is running a software package that uses SQL. I have also installed a Windows 10 VM on another computer running Windows 10. The Windows 10 is capable of attaching to the VM software on the Windows 2012 r2 VM. The VM windows 10 can map a drive to the Windows 2012 r2 VM, but is unable to load the SQL package. I’m using bridging for the VM networks. So, I’m not getting any Virtualbox errors, but the software says “Object reference not set to an instance of an object”
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Sql based server software running in a VM.

Post by scottgus1 »

Check to see that you have a good network between the guests and the hosts:
Each OS can ping all the other OS's.
Each OS can share a folder (natively, not through Guest Additions Shared Folders) and have the all other OS's read from and write to it.

Keep in mind that ping needs to be enabled in the firewall, and that accessing shared folders often requires accounts with passwords for security.

If these characteristics are all good, then you have a working Virtualbox network, and the issue is within the SQL system itself. FWIW I had a working SQL setup fail on me after I changed the SQUL server PC's name on the network.

Do you have a good network, as characterized above?
bigjohn888jb

Post by bigjohn888jb »

Networking wise, everything works. I can ping the computer where the VM's reside and the Vms. The Windows 10 and Windows 10 VM can both access the server's shared drive.

The VM of the Windows 2012 r2 is a VM made from an existing server. The Existing server was on a different network segment (not connected to this network). Could the changing from a network of 192.168.200.x to 192.168.1.x affect the SQL? Other than changing to the new network segment, I did not change anything else. Plus the native Windows 10 can login to the sql software that is in the Windows 2012 R2 VM. Just the Windows 10 VM does not connect.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

What kind of Virtualbox network did you pick for the Windows 10 guest?
bigjohn888jb

Post by bigjohn888jb »

I used a bridged Adapter.

I found an error log for the software and it mentioned that the tcp connection failed. I then saw on the forum that tcp only works with Nat. Is that true? Can I setup adapter 2 as nat? If that is the case, how will the software know which adapter to use?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I've done lots of TCP through Bridged, ran a domain controller/email/file/printer server in a guest through Bridged.
If you can access a shared folder on the new 2012 guest from the 10 VM, then the network is working. There must be something wrong in the SQL setup between the two guests somehow.
bigjohn888jb

Post by bigjohn888jb »

interestingly, I started a vmware player on another computer, installed the software from the the windows 2012 r2 VM and it was able to run the software without a problem.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm not yet convinced: Glitches can happen that don't show with fresh installs.

Did you run the exact same 10 guest in the VMware player? Not a new 10 guest, but the very same guest? (try exporting the faulting 10 guest from Virtualbox & import in VMware, see what you get.)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Also, please zip and post, using the Upload Attachment tab, each guest's .vbox file. Please also post the outputs of the command "ipconfig /all" for each of the four OS's as well as the VMware OS. (should be 5 command outputs.) Maybe something can be seen in the network setup as seen in each OS.
bigjohn888jb

Post by bigjohn888jb »

The vmware one was an existing win 7 vm.

BUT, I created a "clean" Win 10 VM from scratch and put it on the Win 10 computer that I have the other Win 10 VM on and installed the software off the Windows 2012 r2 VM and it is working. Seems that the VM that I made using the systernals disk2vhd has something not quite right about it. I will make a new VM from another working computer and see if that works properly.