[Solved] E:\Virtual Drives\Windows 7 Ultimate.vhd to c:

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Ian21

[Solved] E:\Virtual Drives\Windows 7 Ultimate.vhd to c:

Post by Ian21 »

Hi All

When I first started working with Oracle VirtualBox install guest ie Windows 7 Ultimate and at the time I thought that it would be a good idea to put
them in E:\Virtual Drives\Windows 7 Ultimate.vhd to save c-drive but over time I realized I shouldn't have done that

so my question is that is there any way to move of change the directories like E:\Virtual Drives\Windows 7 Ultimate.vhd to C:\Virtual Drives\Windows 7 Ultimate.vhd

to take it of e: drive, other than removing it a reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate again.

but hoping I can move it to c-drive if it can be done..

Thank you
Ian = Ian21
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: E:\Virtual Drives\Windows 7 Ultimate.vhd to c:

Post by mpack »

It's simple, provided you are not using snapshots or linked clones. But, back up the VM folder anyway before you try anything.

Then, with the VM not running, use File|Virtual Media Manager to Release and then Remove the vhd. Note that this is a global operation, it is not done in the settings for a particular VM. NOTE 2 (IMPORTANT): do not answer yes to the question "do you want to delete the physical files"!

You can now move the VHD into the VM folder, or better yet convert it to VDI and then move the VDI into the VM folder (no sane person uses VHD). Then use the VM settings Storage panel to attach the media from its new location to your hard disk controller.
Ian21

Post by Ian21 »

It's simple, provided you are not using snapshots or linked clones. But, back up the VM folder anyway before you try anything.
Okay, its not snapshot or clone and have backed up all VM folders
Then, with the VM not running, use File|Virtual Media Manager to Release and then Remove the vhd. Note that this is a global operation, it is not done in the settings for a particular VM. NOTE 2 (IMPORTANT): do not answer yes to the question "do you want to delete the physical files"!
been in File|Virtual Media Manager to Release and then Remove the vhd and pressed keep
You can now move the VHD into the VM folder, or better yet convert it to VDI and then move the VDI into the VM folder (no sane person uses VHD). Then use the VM settings Storage panel to attach the media from its new location to your hard disk controller.
How ever I am having trouble with the moving part firstly how do I convert it to VDI and move it
I did go in to File|Virtual Media Manager to were the dir ie (E:) of the vm was changed it to were I wanted it (C)
and presses applied but didn't do any things a box came up to show the progress of the move but just the
line didn't move unless I didn't wait along enough so how do I move it and convert it to VD
Thank you
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

To convert the VHD to VDI the easiest tool I know of is CloneVDI. You won't find an explicit conversion option - the tool always creates VDIs.

Then use the host OS to rename the VDI appropriately (from whatever default name CloneVDI gave it) and move it into the VM folder and continue the instructions I already gave.
Ian21

Post by Ian21 »

Thank you for your help

Ian
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] E:\Virtual Drives\Windows 7 Ultimate.vhd to c:

Post by mpack »

I assume that means problem solved? I'll mark the topic in that case.
Ian21

Re: [Solved] E:\Virtual Drives\Windows 7 Ultimate.vhd to c:

Post by Ian21 »

Yes it does mean that, thank you and have a nice day

Ian