virtual box extension installation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
vmrookie

virtual box extension installation

Post by vmrookie »

I created a virtual machine and in the process created a user account that has administrator privileges. I then downloaded an extension to virtualbox 6.0.10 and tried to install it from that account, but, get the error "Exit code 1 membership in the administrator's group is required to perform this action". I then searched for this error message and found that the proposed solution was to run the virtualbox manager as administrator. When I do that and then click on the virtualbox machine definition icon I get the error "Fatal: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted." I'm a rookie at this virtual machine stuff as I just created the machine yesterday afternoon. Any help on this problem is greatly appreciated.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: virtual box extension installation

Post by mpack »

These are two separate problems. Installing (or not) the extension pack, with or without admin rights, makes absolutely no difference to whether a VM can find a bootable drive attached.

Since you seem to have installed the extension pack successfully, I'll ignore that question.

On the failure to launch the VM, let's start with the basics: did you provide an install ISO, did you install an OS?

A virtual PC is just the same as any other PC - it won't run if you don't install an OS.

I'll wait for confirmation that this is your problem before commenting further. In the meantime you might want to read chapter 1 of the user manual (included as a pdf in C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\doc" - put a shortcut to this PDF beside your VirtualBox desktop icon).
vmrookie

Post by vmrookie »

mpack - I did install Windows 10 v.1809 on the virtual machine and installed all updates. It boots fine if I don't right click the Oracle VM VirtualBox shortcut and choose Run as administrator. The user account that was created when I installed the operating system is my Microsoft user account and is the account that I use log into Windows 10 on the virtual machine. It is an administrator account. However, I don't even get to the Windows 10 login screen. VirtualBox fails to load the operating system when I get this error. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Why would you "Run as administrator" to launch a VM? Don't do that.

The only time you should use "Run as administrator" is when installing the VirtualBox host software. It ensures that you have sufficient rights to install the drivers that VirtualBox requires.

"Run as administrator" is also sometimes (very rarely) needed as a workaround if you are normally denied permission to make modifications in the host "Program Files", e.g. as is required to install the extension pack the host. You can very easily check if you have "Program Files" permissions: just try to create or copy a file there.

"Run as administrator" is not needed to run a VM, regardless of what the VM does. It should not be your default behaviour.