Guru Meditation -2301 (VERR_REM_VIRTUAL_CPU_ERROR)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CooperTom

Guru Meditation -2301 (VERR_REM_VIRTUAL_CPU_ERROR)

Post by CooperTom »

Hello,
I have recently purchased a new PC, general spec as follows:-
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 8GB RAM, 500GB 2.5" SSD, 1TB 3.5" HDD, Nvidia GT 710 1GB Graphics Card, Windows 10 Home Plus 64 Bit

I've installed latest Virtual Box Manager 6.0.10 r132072(Qt5.6.2) plus associated VBoxGuestAdditions. Have installed as guest OS Windows7 32bit.
On trying to install an antivirus package the system crashes just before the install proceedure finishes.

Trawling thro the previous tickets I have found several asking about the same problem and, I'm guessing, this is something to do with VT-x hardware acceleration.
If I try to enable this, the interface indicates a set up error because the host system does not have it enabled.

It appears that the Windows 10 Home Plus O/S doesn't allow me to change it as I can't find the appropriate settings box.
Searches on Google indicate that the Gpedit.msc utility has been disabled in Windows 10 Home Plus 64 Bit.

Your advice would be welcome

Attached is the relevant crash reports.

Thank you
Tom Cooper
Attachments
2019-08-08-20-05-30.055-VirtualBoxVM.exe-13140.rar
(38.58 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
VBoxPNG.rar
(100.25 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
VBoxLog.rar
(71.19 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guru Meditation -2301 (VERR_REM_VIRTUAL_CPU_ERROR)

Post by scottgus1 »

Good on you for googling about! Most folks just say "My VM had a Guru Meditation what do I do?" & no logs... Arghh.

Your log has no mention of VT-x or AMD/V (this is AMD's name for VT-x - or is it VT-x is Intel's name for AMD/V?) that I can find. Out of curiosity, when you start a new guest, does the template list have any 64-bit guest options? If not, then your PC BIOS does not have AMD/V turned on. You will need to google for how to turn on AMD or Virtualization Technology or whatever your motherboard BIOS calls it.
CooperTom

Post by CooperTom »

Hello again, Thanks both for your input, managed to find youtube video on how to turn on AMD version of virtualisation, SVM, via a BIOS setting. Did that and installed a new Windows 7 64 bit machine. Vbox wouldn't let me install 64 bit version before, I assume that it saw that SVM wasn't enabled.
Anyway, still can't load an antivirus package although the installation does get a lot further. Then it just freezes rather than crash so have to shut down the machine via the VirtualBox Manager.
At the moment I've given up on that and am now playing around with an Ubuntu Guest install, Trying to use the USB interface and that's freezing both the Host and Guest at the moment. Never played with Linux before so on a learning curve.

FYI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J42Y_iE8bs

Thanks again
TC
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

CooperTom, if your original problem is solved, then we can mark the thread as such. If you have any other issues, we like to observe the "One issue, one thread" rule... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.