[WorksForMe] How to use the new File Manager function

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
HuntingdonDuke

[WorksForMe] How to use the new File Manager function

Post by HuntingdonDuke »

I am currently running VirtualBox 6 on Ubuntu MATE 19.04. I have several Ubuntu VirtualBox VMs. I have installed the new Guest Additions 6.10. and I can see the File Manager option under Machines. I read the directions for using the File Manager; however, I have been unsuccessful in efforts to open a guest session. I tried the username/password for the VM guest, the VM host, and one that had nothing to do with either. In all cases I get the following error message:
11:47:08: Guest session has been created
11:47:08: Waiting the session to start
11:47:08: The session did not start
11:47:08: Guest session is not valid
11:47:08: The specified user was not able to logon on guest
11:47:08: Session status has changed
What do I have to do to enable this functionality?
Last edited by socratis on 14. Aug 2019, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
HuntingdonDuke

Re: How to use the new File Manager function

Post by HuntingdonDuke »

I found out how to start a guest session. In Ubuntu (and probably linux in general), the username is case sensitive, and should be exactly as it is in the terminal. For example, if the username appears in the terminal as "username@username-linux", only "username" will work; Username (that is, with capitalization) will not work.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [WorksForMe] How to use the new File Manager function

Post by socratis »

Of course the username/password should match exactly a username/password in the VM, that's the whole point. ;)

Glad you figured it out, marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.