Windows 10 upgrade to 6.0.8 and get error supR3HardenedWinReSpawn invalid name

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
openprojim

Windows 10 upgrade to 6.0.8 and get error supR3HardenedWinReSpawn invalid name

Post by openprojim »

trying to load a new windows 2016 but not working
trying to load a new windows 2016 but not working
problem with virtual box running.JPG (120.81 KiB) Viewed 968 times
I have a windows 10 host trying to upgrade to vritualbox 6.0.8

1. when trying to install it freezes
a. I ran the install as adminstrator
b. i disabled my antivirus bitware
c. i rebooted the machine before i started so nothing else was running
d when trying to remove the package it freezes as well and stays status like it completed
e. i let it run for several hours and the meter did not change.

Now when running oracle vm virtualbox 6.0.8 on my windows 10 machine
When trying to create a windows 2016 image i get the following error on the install:
Error is in supR3HardenedWinReSpawn: 5 VERR_INVALID_NAME (-104) - Invalid (Malformed) file/path name

When running the image that use to work on the older version i get the following error: same as above
brynjellis

Re: Windows 10 upgrade to 6.0.8 and get error supR3HardenedWinReSpawn invalid name

Post by brynjellis »

Did you find a fix for this please? I'm hitting exact issue.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 upgrade to 6.0.8 and get error supR3HardenedWinReSpawn invalid name

Post by scottgus1 »

@openprojim, before we try on the hardening issue, let's confirm you have Virtualbox installed correctly. It seems you have Virtualbox installed somewhat, but you're having trouble upgrading.

1. Uninstall Virtualbox. Your guests will be fine & ready to use later.

2. Shut down your host PC. Unplug it, wait a few minutes, get a coffee, etc., then plug it back in again and start the PC. The unplug is to make sure no latent charges are holding on to some data that should be gone.

3. Install Virtualbox by right-clicking the installer and choose Run As Administrator. You must install this way, you can't skip it because you're already admin.

4. Try running a guest.

If you have any trouble, tell what step you were on and what the "exact" error message you get is, perhaps a screenshot too, so we know where the error message is from.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@brynjellis, please start a new thread, with your own log & screenshot if necessary.