Cannot install Guest additions

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
karl jones

Cannot install Guest additions

Post by karl jones »

Hi,

I recently upgraded to MAC Mojave, and have found that on trying to reinstall some older software it now no longer works.
so, I have created a virtual machine with MAC OS X Mountain Lion, which seems to work.
However, when I try to install the guest add ons i get the message "The operation couldn't be completed (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1.) Couldn't open "VboxSolarisAdditions.pkg."

Could anyone please help.
thanks
karl
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot install Guest additions

Post by socratis »

karl jones wrote:Couldn't open "VboxSolarisAdditions.pkg."
Why would you try to install the Solaris Guest Additions (GAs) in an OSX VM? You should be looking at the OSX GAs, aka "VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg".

Moving to "OSX Guests" from "OSX Hosts", your issue is with your guest, not your host...

Changed the title from "Cannot install Guest admins" to "Cannot install Guest additions"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
karl jones

Post by karl jones »

Thank you for replying.
I am just mounting the virtual disk that came with VirtualBox, and asking it to install.
I cannot control what it tries to install.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

karl jones wrote:I am just mounting the virtual disk that came with VirtualBox, and asking it to install.
I cannot control what it tries to install.
It looks like it might be a bug in the logic that detects what to autorun. You should probably cancel that operation and browse the contents of the virtual CD mounted in the guest using Finder and run the .pkg file suggested by Socratis.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
karl jones

Post by karl jones »

How do I install VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg?
thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You double click it. But.. the OSX GAs are broken, you got nothing to gain. Don't install them they're useless. See viewtopic.php?f=22&t=90798
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
karl jones

Post by karl jones »

There is nothing to double click.
The only virtual drive that I am offered is, apparently, to install Windows guest additions.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Do NOT install the GAs. Forget about it, please. There's absolutely nothing to gain. Read the link that I gave you, really carefully...
karl jones

Post by karl jones »

OK, it looks as though i don't need them then.
I just want to be able to transfer files to the virtual system.
thanks
karl
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:It looks like it might be a bug in the logic that detects what to autorun.
With all due respect Andy, when was the last time that something "autorun" on OSX? There's no such concept (thank Toutatis!)...
ADW-SchemaCzar

Post by ADW-SchemaCzar »

socratis wrote:You double click it. But.. the OSX GAs are broken, you got nothing to gain. Don't install them they're useless. See viewtopic.php?f=22&t=90798
:(
agapé

Post by agapé »

Maybe the solution is here :
I've the same problem, and by "try and fail" method I
have the steps to install the guest additions on a MacOS
guest:
1. insert the guest additions cd
2. open the cd on file manager
3. double click on VBoxDarwinAdditions.pkg
4. the installer opens, the clic contine
5. next screen to set location of installed files, only
press install
6. your password can be asked a couple of time while
installing, write it and continue
7. this is the tricky part, on my installation, macos show
an message about the driver created by oracle won't
be installed because a security issue, it has the
option to enable it, so click on the button to open
security screen and click on the allow button next to
the oracle software listed at bottom of the security
settings window, it will ask your password again.
Meanwhile the pkg installer continued as if it has
permissions and will say "install finished", but I don't
believe it so, once I unlocked the oracle drivers
installations I repeat the whole process from step 3,
and in the second round all installs without asking
more than the first password to install.
in : "How to install Guest addition in Mac OS as guest and Windows machine as host" search on internet
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

agapé wrote:in : "How to install Guest addition in Mac OS as guest and Windows machine as host" search on internet
This is not allowed. OSX guests can be installed only on Apple computers only. Unless you're the really rare case (0.001%) that this is actually an Apple computer, in which you have installed Windows, and you're trying to boot a legitimate OSX guest and not a Hackintosh, see "OSX guests on non-Apple hardware".