VirtualBox doesn't create screenshots

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
RubenAndreTei

VirtualBox doesn't create screenshots

Post by RubenAndreTei »

Hello,

I have a problem with my VirtualBox. It doesn't create the screenshots.
Whenever I try to take a screenshot in my virtual machines, I use the Host + E, it opens a menu to choose the location to save the screenshot and I click on Save to save it.
But when I go to the location where it is supposed to have the picture, it's not there.
I tried with multiple virtual machines and the outcome is the same.
I'm using Windows 10 Home with VirtualBox 6.0.10 and Extension Pack 6.0.10.
I tried to search about this issue on the internet, but no one seems to have the same problem.
Can anyone help me?

Thank you for your time.
Attachments
Ubuntu-2019-08-02-17-01-32.zip
(28.08 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Last edited by RubenAndreTei on 4. Aug 2019, 14:00, edited 2 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox doesn't create screenshots

Post by scottgus1 »

Are you by chance running Virtualbox as administrator? If so, you might have this happen. Just a wild guess, really.
RubenAndreTei

Post by RubenAndreTei »

I tried running with as administrator and without, but the issue is still there
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

00:00:42.776983 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.18 r123745 '5.2.18_KernelUbuntu'
You should definitely try it with the VirtualBox Guest Additions, not Guest Additions from a fork.

This is a Guest Additions feature by the way: the extension pack is not relevant.

Myself I just use the Windows Snipping tool on the host.
RubenAndreTei

Post by RubenAndreTei »

I installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions and I still have the same issue.

I was using that tool too, but when I have a work with more than 300 prints it's easier with the VirtualBox instead of the tool from Windows
Attachments
Ubuntu-2019-08-03-16-23-45.zip
(31.29 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
RubenAndreTei

Post by RubenAndreTei »

I think I found the error, but I can't find the solution.

I tried to take 2 screenshots and these lines got added to "VBoxSVC".

00:01:00.217117 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976} aComponent={SessionMachine} aText={Saved screenshot data is not available (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-37

00:16:44.992741 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976} aComponent={SessionMachine} aText={Saved screenshot data is not available (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-37
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That normally means that the graphical component of the GAs is not running, e.g. because the guest OS doesn't have a GUI.

Assuming that you do have a desktop, then the only other thing I see is a bunch of hardening errors :-
00:00:18.859128 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=VERR_SUP_VP_NOT_OWNED_BY_TRUSTED_INSTALLER fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Users\Rúben\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\19.103.0527.0003\amd64\FileSyncShell64.dll: supHardenedWinVerifyImageByHandle: TrustedInstaller is not the owner of '\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Users\Rúben\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\19.103.0527.0003\amd64\FileSyncShell64.dll'.
00:00:18.859266 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\Users\Rúben\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\19.103.0527.0003\amd64\FileSyncShell64.dll' (C:\Users\Rúben\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\19.103.0527.0003\amd64\FileSyncShell64.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
I find it odd that a DLL is being loaded from a OneDrive location, that seems inherently insecure to me.
RubenAndreTei

Post by RubenAndreTei »

I'm using a laptop.

I uninstalled the OneDrive and the issue is still here, I don't know what can I do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I don't think that this is a guest issue, I think it's solely a host issue. Just to test it, create a new throwaway VM (e.g. DOS), try to run it, it will fail in the no bootable medium found. Try to take a screenshot. And tell me where exactly you're trying to save the screenshot.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RubenAndreTei

Post by RubenAndreTei »

Socratis sorry for taking so long to answer, I was on vacations.

I created a new VM (DOS) and did what you said, and the screenshot didn't saved.

I tried to save it on original location --> C:\Users\Rúben\VirtualBox VMs\DOS\

I tried to save it on --> C:\Users\Rúben\Desktop but the outcome is the same.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Could the accented u be the issue? Try to save to a folder with only basic ASCII letters for the name, like 'C:\screenshots".
RubenAndreTei

Post by RubenAndreTei »

I created a folder "Screnshots" in C: and tried to save it there but still not working.

Two weeks ago I bought a new computer, and even on a new computer the issue is still there.

The interesting thing is that the screenshots are saved on Desktop, but I can't on Laptops.
Last edited by RubenAndreTei on 26. Aug 2019, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

RubenAndreTei wrote:The interesting thing is that the screenshots are saved in Desktop, but I can't on Laptops.
Then you got to search for the differences between the two. Do you have any antivirus, nanny-software, protections, etc? Something must be interfering...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RubenAndreTei

Post by RubenAndreTei »

I tried that on first place, even tried the permissions, and I didn't see the diferrence.
I have Windows Defender on both computers. No nanny-software and no protections.
Yeah, I know, but the strange thing is if I open powershell in virtualbox folder and use the command to take screenshot (PS C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox> .\vboxmanage controlvm "Ubuntu Client" screenshotpng 'C:\Users\Rúben\Desktop\Screenshots\teste.png'), it saves on where I want.
So I'm more confused now, why the inside shortcut doesnt work but the command does?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

RubenAndreTei wrote:So I'm more confused now, why the inside shortcut doesnt work but the command does?
I don't have the slightest idea, but I'm also almost 100% sure that this is not a VirtualBox issue, but a host issue. I honestly wouldn't know where to start troubleshooting this, maybe the applications/helpers that you have installed on your host?