Hardening error, please help :^)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Andy1

Hardening error, please help :^)

Post by Andy1 »

Please find the Hardening Log attached.
Can we determine from that what is causing the VMs to fail to start?
This is a new installation.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
Andy
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
(60.12 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Andy1

Re: Hardening error, please help :^)

Post by Andy1 »

I've reviewed most of the past threads, including Incident num 82106 titled "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" (it won't let me post the link).
Andy1

Post by Andy1 »

I've tried just about every fix I could find...if I understand correctly some DLL is preventing VirtualBox from starting any VM, i.e. a foreign program has successfully injected itself into the VirtualBox executable space and is now running. The foreign program is most likely a "web safe" internet browser filter, remote desktop application, or antivirus software. VirtualBox must be added as an exception to their activities (the associated DLLs presumably must have been correctly signed.)

While we have one more possibility, to disable our Anti-Virus software, I thought perhaps the log could give a definitive answer.

Starting Headless or Detached has the same result / error.

I understand it is possible that Windows "system" software, such as Hyper-V is causing this, however they have all been checked and none appear to be running:

Application Guard
Credential Guard
Device Guard
<any> * Guard
Containers
Hyper-V
Virtual Machine Platform
Windows Hypervisor Platform
Windows Sandbox
Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2) (WSL1 does not enable Hyper-v)

I also understand that it's also possible a BIOS setting needs to be changed.
VirtualBox has been installed and "Run as Administrator".

This is in support of a very important project.
Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated :^)
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Andy1 wrote:I understand it is possible that Windows "system" software, such as Hyper-V is causing this, however they have all been checked and none appear to be running:
Having Hyper-V enabled causes VirtualBox to try to run using Windows' Native Execution Manager (NEM) which causes other problems - most notably poor performance if it runs at all. What you have is a hardening problem and that is something different:
[quote]4aa4.2500: More than one thread in process
4aa4.2500: Error -5640 in supR3HardenedWinReSpawn! (enmWhat=1)
4aa4.2500: More than one thread in process
5008.3e10: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x1 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 29 ms, the end);[/quote]
Looking at what is in your log file then something has indeed stuck its tentacles into the VirtualBox process space where it is not wanted.
Andy1 wrote:While we have one more possibility, to disable our Anti-Virus software,
This will be a good place to start but disabling it might not be enough. You should uninstall it completely to run the test.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Andy1

Post by Andy1 »

Thanks very much @andyp73
I'll try uninstalling the AV software or otherwise using a different server that's disconnected from this AV software.