Guest Bluescreen using shared folders in VirtualBox > 6.0.9 (#18766)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest Bluescreen using shared folders in VirtualBox > 6.0.9 (#18766)

Post by socratis »

Arathor wrote:Is that a known issue?
Yes, the one that I merged your topic with... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GregNfo

Shared Folder CRASHES guest (windows7) [1/2 Solved]

Post by GregNfo »

:idea: Hi,
Maybe it's not new, but just to clarify that the installation of 6.0.10 virtualbox is not the problem per se if you experience problems with Shared content...
HOST: Windows 10 Pro x64
GUEST: Windows 7 Pro x64 + GuestAdditions 6.0.10
This combination (both 6.0.10 VBox+Tools) makes the access of any shared folder, to cause system freeze, and later restart.
It does not get fixed by disabling Read or Write to folder, or make transient... just hangs when clicked... not when mounted!

I fixed it by
  1. uninstalling 6.0.10 additions of the preferences.
  2. replacing the "VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" on "..\VirtualBox\app64\... " at least that's the structure on my system. (replaced the ISO file in 6.0.10 for the one in 6.0.8 by unpacking the installation folder! 7zip or similar...)
  3. next, boot... uninstal the guestadditions on the Guest system, or simply install over by mounting ISO in the menu, restart, and all is good.
I don't know how it behaves with the following config:
HOST: 6.0.8 Vbox
GUEST: 6.0.10 additions...
but I guess the additions ISO breaks it!

...at least my config is stable for now!
Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@GregNfo
I merged your original thread, and I've deleted your 2nd message that was posted here notifying people of your original thread.

What you're proposing is a workaround, sure, until the underlying problem is solved.

@ALL
I've asked again and again, to include details about your host/guest/setup, like here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93359#p453198, or here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93359&start=15#p453354 so that we can find what's common.

If you don't want to do it, that's fine, stick with 6.0.8! I couldn't care less, I'm not affected as you can see from my post above. But if you want to move forward and get this thing fixed, you should 1) be paying more attention, 2) do your homework.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BCosell

Opening shared folder crashes the VM

Post by BCosell »

I discovered this evening that when I open the shared folder in my VM in File Explorer it crashes the VM! First the whole thing freezes up - not listening to the mouse or keyboard. And then about 10 seconds later I'm back at the "VirtualBox 6.0" startup screen and the VM restarts. I can poke around in C: with no problem... it is just z:, the shared drive, that kills the vm. I just checked from the command prompt and that appears to work perfectly -- I can change to z: and copy files and such without a problem. It is only in /file exlporer that the VM creashes.
HudoSupport

Re: Opening shared folder crashes the VM

Post by HudoSupport »

I'm having the same problem. I think it started after I updated the guest adittions to version 6.0.10. I'm goin to rollback everything to 6.0.8 to test. I think something is wrong with the last extension pack.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@BCosell, @HudoSupport,
I merged your thread with the one that deals with the issue. You could have also found the ticket from the "Known Issues" of the "Discuss the 6.0.10 release"...
ceefax

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium - shared folder BSOD

Post by ceefax »

Hi, I just installed Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium into VirtualBox 6.0.10 r132072 (QT 5.62).

The latest additions are installed and I have restarted since.

I have added a shared folder, but if I try to access it I get a (virtual) BSOD (see attached GIF)

I noticed if I have no files in the shared folder I can open it without an issue.

After the first BSOD Windows will recover and reboot, but if I try to open the Shared Folder again (and have another BSOD), Windows will no longer boot and gets stuck at the Starting Windows screen (no animation plays above the text).
It does not proceed from this point; if I force a reset the two options: StartUp Repair, and Start Windows Normally, do not work, both get stuck at either a blacks screen (startup repair) or the Starting Windows screen (Start Windows Normally).

Thankfully I backed up the VM folder before adding the additions so I can retest what could be causing it, but so far I can't work it out.
I have tried different locations for the shared folder but nothing seems to work, I'm hoping someone can help? :)
Attachments
the BSOD is IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
the BSOD is IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
vboxbsod2.gif (112.73 KiB) Viewed 4468 times
Last edited by ceefax on 30. Jul 2019, 15:32, edited 2 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium - shared folder BSOD

Post by scottgus1 »

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93359, this is a new problem.
ceefax

Post by ceefax »

Thank you, I'll wait for an update, or perhaps I can install an older version?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That might help, seems that 6.0.8 is still OK. Start your guest again and uninstall the Guest Additions. Then shut down the guest from within the guest OS.

In the main Virtualbox window, uninstall the Extension Pack. (If you get an Access Denied error, close the main Virtualbox window and wait one minute, then right-click the Virtualbox icon and choose Run As Administrator. Now you should be able to get the Extension Pack uninstalled.)

Uninstall Virtualbox, your guest will still be there when you get reinstalled.

Install the older version by right-clicking the installer and choosing Run As Administrator, even if you are already administrator. Let Virtualbox start from the installer's last page, then install the matching Extension Pack. Virtualbox & EP versions must always match.

Close the main Virtualbox window, wait one minute, then reopen Virtualbox. Start your guest & install the new version's GAs. Enjoy the shared folders!
ceefax

Post by ceefax »

Thanks very much, it's working fine on 6.0.8 :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93359, this is a new problem.
Merged with the mentioned thread now...

An error occurs when copying a file using a shared folder

Post by 711388971 »

My OS: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC
VB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate

Hello, When I open and copy files in a shared folder (Desktop), I get a blue screen.

You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls.

Code: Select all

i.imgur.com/99a1pB2.png
VBox.log

pastie.io/ebvzlw.dns
VBoxHardening.log

pastie.io/pjgtbo.angelscript
PS: Does Windows 7 in a virtualbox seem to be much smoother with "VBoxVGA"?
What graphic controller settings for Windows 7 do you recommend?
mbedard

Post by mbedard »

Same thing for me! Happen when EXE files are locate in a shared folder!!!

Any fix??
JRocha

Post by JRocha »

We are also encountering this problem.

Moreover, I can confirm I do not see the problem if there are just .txt files in the folder.

But it will abort if there is a .exe file. Moreover, after it restarts a new folder named "System Volume Information" is placed in the Shared folder. The new folder is empty.

Also, I can rename the .exe to a .txt and then it won't crash.

I can copy the ".txt" to my VM desktop and rename it back to a .exe and it all works as desired.

A trigger appears to be the existence of a .exe file in the shared folder when the VM navigates into that fulder.