Update post-install pop-up requires admin privileges, then gives Repair or Remove options?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
davepec

Update post-install pop-up requires admin privileges, then gives Repair or Remove options?

Post by davepec »

I just updated to the latest, it installed everything it normally does (Windows 7 host), then after I click Finish, a pop-up says it might need to re-run as admin:
update post-install pop-up - might require administrator privileges.png
update post-install pop-up - might require administrator privileges.png (23.71 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
If I click "Restart the program as an administrator", it just ends up showing the installer Repair / Remove screen (I'm not seeing how to post that screenshot here)...

Then if I click Repair, it tells me files are in use - VirtualBox Interface and VirtualBox Manager with Exit and Retry buttons... this is totally confusing. I don't know why VirtualBox is giving me this rigmarole.

What is going on? What am I supposed to do? Always click that it's working? Why am I getting the warning and the nonsense run-around? Seems like this started after Oracle took over. Is this a security issue?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Update post-install pop-up requires admin privileges, then gives Repair or Remove options?

Post by socratis »

1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  6. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  7. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
davepec

Re: Update post-install pop-up requires admin privileges, then gives Repair or Remove options?

Post by davepec »

What is it doing that it needs to be run as an admin?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Installing 4 kernel drivers. Those require admin privileges. Always were, not a new thing...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

davepec wrote:What am I supposed to do? Always click that it's working?
Yes, that's what I always do, unless the installer showed an error itself.

In my experience with Windows 7 that error box showed many times for many of my programs, even if the installer claimed it worked correctly. I always ignored it.

And as Socratis said, you have to right-click the Virtualbox installer and choose Run As Administrator to get a good install on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I would not ignore Program Compatibility Assistant in this instance. VirtualBox installation definitely needs admin rights.

The Program Compatibility dialog tends to appear in two scenarios (both of which involve detecting that you ran an install program) :-

First is when you run a really old installer that may not be compatible with modern, more secure versions of Windows. I recently encountered this with one of my own old installers. Basically PCA was complaining because it's an installer, and it didn't include a manifest. Many of these warnings ("This program may not have installed correctly") can be ignored when you know what the app installs.

The second scenario I guess is this one, when Windows detects that the app tries to install drivers in the system32 folder, makes changes to the registry etc, but system policy blocks some of that, e.g. is set to silently reject the driver installations.
davepec

Post by davepec »

So if I run again as admin and click Repair, I just try to close all programs of VirtualBox and then run the whole install again?

I don't know why it doesn't request admin install to begin with... or at least for the different parts that require it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

davepec wrote:So if I run again as admin and click Repair
I gave you a step-by-step list. Not just for fun, but to follow it precisely! And there's no mention of Repair on the list!
davepec

Post by davepec »

Your list includes installing and running 3rd-party software like CCleaner and Drive Cleanup, the former I've heard and read has been compromised with malware at one point (and who knows what else it's going to do to my system or read from it and send to external servers), and I just don't like installing and running 3rd-party programs like this until I know what they're actually doing to the system, ESPECIALLY ones that mention registry, drive, or driver cleanup, as I can't count how many times I've cleaned up people's slow-running adware/malware-infested computers because they've installed software like this on "recommendations" to "clean up their computer".

So I'd like to skip installing 3rd-party software until I can verify that they're not going to create new problems.

I'll try the rest of the list when I'm done with the other tasks I'm doing on the computer, then report back how it goes.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

@davepec

Socratis explained the potential issues with CCleaner in his detailed guide. Not 'malware' but 'bundleware' that the installer 'helpfully' offers to add to your system when you run it. These 'offers' have become more 'aggressive' since the company that originally developed CCleaner (and other several other utilities), Piriform, was acquired by the Anti-Virus company, Avast!

If you want to completely avoid the possibility of bundleware being installed, then you could try 'ccPortable' instead, available here: https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ccportable. This portable installer directly downloads only the necessary CCleaner installation files with none of the add-on offers. There is an Anti-Virus link to the VirusTotal reporting on the app download page, but you still have to apply some human logic to any isolated detections given the detection methods employed. Isolated detections usually, but not always, = 'false positive'.

PortableApps does offer some other alternatives:

Wise Registry Cleaner - https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities ... r-portable
RegAlyzer (by SpyBot) if you want to check the Registry and edit manually. - https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities ... r-portable