Can't findLinux guest additions installer

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
RadlyEel

Can't findLinux guest additions installer

Post by RadlyEel »

I'm failing miserably to get Guest Additions installed on my Linux guest.

I have VirtualBox 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.6.3) running on my Mac 10.14.5; the guest is Ubuntu Server 18.04, with no GUI--it's all CLI. When I mount the Guest Additions in the virtual optical drive, I can't find it in my directory. I've run "ls" on /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd, /media, /mnt; none of them have any content. There is /dev/disk/by-label/VBox_GAs_6.0.10, which itself is a link to /dev/sr0, which is empty. (When I "remove the disk from the virtual drive", that link disappears. I get exactly the same behavior whether I use the ISO included in the VirtualBox app bundle or the one I downloaded from https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... 6.0.10.iso.

I'd love some guidance as to what I might be doing wrong; any suggestions would be appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't findLinux guest additions installer

Post by socratis »

That doesn't seem primarily a VirtualBox question, but "How do I find things on my Linux" question, you may have better luck if you searched an Ubuntu forum. In any event, I'm moving it to the "Linux Guests" area from the "OSX Hosts" area.
RadlyEel wrote:Ubuntu Server 18.04, with no GUI--it's all CLI
What exactly are you going to use the GAs for then?
RadlyEel wrote:which itself is a link to /dev/sr0
That's where I would expect to find it too...
RadlyEel wrote:I get exactly the same behavior whether I use the ISO included in the VirtualBox app bundle or the one I downloaded
I wouldn't expect the behavior to be different, it's the same exact action.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

RadlyEel wrote:I'd love some guidance as to what I might be doing wrong; any suggestions would be appreciated.
In Linux /dev/sr0 is the device file the Linux kernel uses to access the CD-ROM drive. In order to access the contents of the disk you need to mount it into the filesystem. From the command line this wil be:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:In order to access the contents of the disk you need to mount it into the filesystem
Wait a minute... there's no auto-mount, just because it's the server?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:Wait a minute... there's no auto-mount, just because it's the server?
No idea, it was just a helpful suggestion :). Obviously if it is auto-mounted it would most likely appear somewhere under /media. The 'df' command would give the definitive answer!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.