OpenSUSE 15.1 - Guest have choppy sound all versions after 5.2.20 - now on 6.0.8

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
llr

OpenSUSE 15.1 - Guest have choppy sound all versions after 5.2.20 - now on 6.0.8

Post by llr »

I heard choppy sound on any browser video - when I was on OpenSUSE 15.0 - I could go back to 5.2.20 (I use the opensuse repos) but there are no 5.2.xx for 15.1.

Before I updated to 15.1, I was able to put 5.2.20 and it's guest additions back - and the sound was fine. I have tried a USB sound (turtle beach) and that also has the same issue - so it has to be between the guest and the host as the host has no sound problems.

From searching the internet - someone said that virtualbox executable change a sound timeout from 100 to 250 and that is the cause.

I really rather surf the internet from my virtualbox linux box so that I can undo any bad things that happen by replacing the vdi from my weekly backups.

Any advice on how to correct this - trying the virtualbox from 5.2.20 give a host version error.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OpenSUSE 15.1 - Guest have choppy sound all versions after 5.2.20 - now on 6.0.8

Post by socratis »

llr wrote:I could go back to 5.2.20 (I use the opensuse repos) but there are no 5.2.xx for 15.1.
Please do not use the OpenSUSE forked repository, use the official VirtualBox one: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. The OpenSUSE 15 version works with 15.1 as well...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.