[Resolved] Host machine crashes when booting guest for installation (#18782)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
diamondpumpkin

[Resolved] Host machine crashes when booting guest for installation (#18782)

Post by diamondpumpkin »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18782: Host machine crashes when booting guest for installation
Host specifications: Windows 10
Virtual Box: 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.6.2)
With VirtualBox Extension Pack 6.0.10 r132072

Code: Select all

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X - 4.3GHz 8C/16T
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series (2x16GB@3200MHz)
Mother board: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Video Card: MSI 8G 1080 Armor OC
Power Supply: EVGA 650W - EQ (80+ Gold)
1st Hard drive: Samsung Evo 970 - 1TB NVMe M.2 (OS Drive)
2nd Hard drive: Western Digital Red - 2TB 7200RPM
3rd Hard drive: Western Digital Blue - 1TB 7200RPM
Internet Adapter: Onboard Ethernet
Case: NZXT Source 530 (Do not recommend this case)
Cooler: Corsair H60 - 2x EVGA FX 120mm in a push-pull config
Guest Allocations: Ubuntu 18.04.2 Server

Code: Select all

8 Cores, 8GB RAM, 32 GB Fixed VDI storage on 1st hard drive, bridged network with Intel I211 Pro 1000T.

Other specs:
PIIX3 Chipset, I/O APIC, 128MB Video Memory, VMSVGA Controller, no acceleration, installation IDE PIIX4 no host I/O cache, virtual boot media AHCI SSD no host I/O cache, no audio.
This issue just recently popped up for me and I can't find anyone else with this issue. After shutting down my host PC, and forgetting to shutdown the guest machine correctly it tried to save the machine state. I canceled the host shutdown to cancel the machine state save. The next day I launch the guest and everything works fine until I put it under load. It crashes my host PC with either a BSOD or just force restart. I completely reinstalled virtual box, wiping every trace before reinstalling. I go to install the server and crashes immediately after starting the guest machine. I am using brand new everything, nothing from when the machine save state happened is being used. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by socratis on 25. Jul 2019, 10:25, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Host machine crashes when booting guest for installation

Post by scottgus1 »

Please post a log from the guest, zipped, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

If you are getting BSODs on the host, please post the BSOD stop code.

Have you had this computer long? If it is new, have you run burn-in tests to see that just running high-load progs on the host with no Virtualbox running doesn't BSOD/crash the host?

Virtualbox 6.0.10 just came out. Were you running an earlier version of Virtualbox beforehand?
diamondpumpkin

Post by diamondpumpkin »

I'm not sure how to get the guest log. The BSOD stop code is "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". I have had this computer over a year, it's had plenty of high loads and handled them fine. The overclock is very stable. I do believe I was on an earlier version, I'll switch to an older version and see if that helps.

Edit: Switched to version 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.6.2) and got further than on the latest. I am able to get to the install Ubuntu screen, it makes it most of the way through until the end where it forcefully shuts off the host computer. No BSOD.
Edit 2: Switched to version 6.0.6 r130049 (Qt5.6.2) and reduced the cores for the guest to 4, half my physical cores. This helped, but not quite fixed. It actually managed to boot to Ubuntu but crashed shortly after. Giving the BSOD "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". I don't think I installed any earlier versions than 6.0.6, so I'm not going to go back any further. I am considering reinstalling Windows, would doing so help my case?
Edit 3: Reinstalled Windows, no luck. I have no idea what the problem is. I tried enabling/disabling the acceleration settings, made sure AMD-V is enabled. I could really use some input.
Edit 4: Reinstalled the program again (6.0.10 r132072) this time without the extension pack. Allocated 2GB of RAM and 1 CPU core to the guest to minimize possible issues. Left everything default aside from Audio (disabled) and networking (Bridged). Host system still crashed, though after significantly longer than any other previous attempts. I was actually able to run my stuff on it for a short while.

I found the logs, see attached. I also attached a log file I got when the VM launched and was shutdown properly.
Attachments
Ubuntu18.04-2019-07-20-07-02-45.zip
Successful boot and shutdown log
(27.76 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
VirtualBoxLogs.zip
Logs
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by socratis on 20. Jul 2019, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
diamondpumpkin

Post by diamondpumpkin »

I have finally figured it out. I use Avast Antivirus as my background protection, it usually doesn't cause any trouble but in this case there seems to be a conflict. Something Avast does when Oracle VirtualBox is running collides and crashes the system. I assume this is mainly on Avast's end so I will post on their forums.

Edit: Posted on Avast's website, apparently it uses some virtualization which the vm doesn't like. Here's the post: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=228493.0
Last edited by diamondpumpkin on 24. Jul 2019, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

diamondpumpkin wrote:Something Avast does when Oracle VirtualBox is running collides and crashes the system
That's really interesting... It further goes to solidify my conviction that 3rd party antivirus are nothing more than added headaches.

Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Resolved] Host machine crashes when booting guest for installation (#18782)

Post by socratis »

diamondpumpkin wrote:Something Avast does when Oracle VirtualBox is running collides and crashes the system
Just for reference, and looking at the thread you opened in the Avast forums, it was the "Enable hardware-assisted virtualization", which 99.99% enabled Hyper-V on your host.

I wouldn't expect a crash to be honest, just an error from VirtualBox that it couldn't run because Hyper-V was enabled.

I added the ticket number that you opened, both in the title and in the first post...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Hoss3276

Re: [Resolved] Host machine crashes when booting guest for installation (#18782)

Post by Hoss3276 »

My Windows Host was rebooting for no discernible reason when running a guest OS.

Found this post on Avast and its use of hardware-assisted virtualization,
I disabled avast hardware-assisted virtualization and the rebooting the host issues has stopped.

You will find the option under the avast settings, general, troubleshooting,
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you @Hoss3276 for your 1st post, and the confirmation!