3 button mouse

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
wasutton3

3 button mouse

Post by wasutton3 »

i have installed the latest version of virtual box on intrepid and i have a windows host. for the life of me i cant seem to figure out how to get the middle button on my mouse (a wireless mx revolution) to actually work in the guest os. im also having the same problem on a mac osx host using a vn nano. is this a problem with just wireless mice, because i have a small three button wired logitech that does have all the buttons working.

whenever i register the reciever with the guest, it stops working in the host and it doesnt seem to move the pointer at all. i acutally need to have these middle buttons working for a specific program im trying to run (pro engineer) if anyones familiar.
any help to a poor college student would be most appreciated!
 Edit:  I have tried it with a logitech CUAT51 wireless mouse (purchased at office depot for 15$) it works just as it should.
could this be an issue with mice that have more buttons than the standard two buttons and the scroll wheel/button?
if anything it should work on the mac, but i wouldnt be surprised if it didnt work on linux. 
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

VB provides only a default 3-button mouse to the Guest. That is left, right and scroll wheel as buttons. Of course, the scroll wheel works too ;). At least, that is what it should do.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
wasutton3

Post by wasutton3 »

it does work as a scroll wheel, but it doesnt work as an actual button. like for working with pro engineer, when you are rotating something manually, you hold down the scroll wheel as a button and it grabs and rotates it. it works fine with mice that only have the three buttons, but when other buttons are present, like there are 13 on my mx revolution, it doesnt seem to translate, on mac or linux (i dont have a windows computer to test it on)
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

I would guess that the button mapping is at fault here. Check with xev from terminal to see what event your scroll wheel produces as mouse button. This should be button3, but could be different.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

wasutton3

Post by wasutton3 »

ok it is definitely not mapping it as button 3 because that is registered as right click, is there an easy way to remap the mouse? or am i stuck
wasutton3

Post by wasutton3 »

ok, its definitely not being mapped properly, is there a quick way to fix that?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't know, but you should be able to remap mouse buttons with xmodmap or something like that. This isn't really the right forum to ask for config help on the Host side of Linux. Check google, your distro's forum and other sources for how to map them properly.