windows 10 guest screen resolution

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
forum_guest

windows 10 guest screen resolution

Post by forum_guest »

hello,

i have windows 10 x64 as host and guest. both 1903 und up to date.
in virtualbox 6.0.8 i can only select 800x600 and 1024x768 for windows 10 as possible resolution. reinstalling the extensions does not change a thing.

ubuntu or kubuntu as a guest do not have that problem. here i can select any resolution i like.

any help?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: windows 10 guest screen resolution

Post by socratis »

forum_guest wrote:reinstalling the extensions does not change a thing.
You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) gets installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing (for PS/2 mice), enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
forum_guest

Post by forum_guest »

hello,

1. installed virtualbox 6.0.8 on host windows
2. installed the extension pack on host windows
3. installed windows 10 as guest in vbox
4. installed guest additions in guest windows
5. run windows update
6. installed guest additions again

<file deleted>
Last edited by forum_guest on 25. Jun 2019, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
d4k0

Post by d4k0 »

I think I have the same problem. I just updated one of my VMs from Windows 10 1809 x64 to Windows 10 1903 x64 using Windows Update. The update completed without an error, but after the first boot I noticed that the resolution of the guest system wasn't maximised. I thought that there maybe was an error with the guest additions, that's why I uninstalled and reinstalled them. But the problem is still there: The system thinks that 1600 x 1200 is the maximum resolution (my display resolution is 2560 x 1440). With Windows 10 1809 the maximum resolution was correctly shown as 2560 x 1310 and VirtualBox scaled the VM automatically when the windows was resized, but this now also doesn't work anymore.

I have other VMs with Windows 10 1803 x86 and Ubuntu 19.04 and the correct resolution is used there. Scaling is also working properly there.

Is this a known problem with Windows 10 1903? I attached a log of the VM. My host is also running Windows 10 1903 x64 with the latest updates. The VirtualBox version is 6.0.8.

EDIT:

I updated to test build 6.0.9 r131396 today and the resolution is now correctly set again. The clipboard is also working again (I didn't notice this before).
Attachments
log.zip
(35.97 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
forum_guest

Post by forum_guest »

considering dk40 post, it looks like a bug.

any idea when we will get a new release?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If I were a betting man I'd be willing to place a large wager that having Windows 10 running in a guest with all features would be a high priority for Oracle customers, thus a high priority for the developers. The devs never say when a new release is coming. And 1903 is relatively new, so it is reasonable to expect that full resolution capability in a Windows 10 1903 guest will be possible shortly if it is not already so now and this just happens to be a glitch on your PC. Monitor the guest forum for a while to see if anyone else reports this regularly.

There are some test builds of Virtualbox you could try.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

forum_guest wrote:any idea when we will get a new release?
What makes you think that a new release will address what you're seeing? Especially when it's not widely reported, especially when it can't be reproduced? I don't have that problem for example...

PS. Please do not edit your posts again and delete logs and other files. It's considered post vandalism and can be grounds initially for a warning by a mod. Not only that, but you deleted vital pieces of information that could help the developers track down what's wrong with your setup...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
forum_guest

Post by forum_guest »

What makes you think that a new release will address what you're seeing?
d4k0 used a testbuid and got rid of the problem. and no, i will not install a test build on my system
Please do not edit your posts again and delete logs and other files. It's considered post vandalism and can be grounds initially for a warning by a mod. Not only that, but you deleted vital pieces of information that could help the developers track down what's wrong with your setup...
sorry, i certainly did not have vandalism on my mind. but i do not like that logfiles in a forum can be accessed by everybody. i have no problem sending a log to a developer or uploading an encrypted file with the password via pn. that was the reason for removing the file after several days.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

forum_guest wrote:and no, i will not install a test build on my system
I've been saying for the longest time, that the characterization of these builds as "test builds" scares users away. How about if I told you "intermediate builds"? Would that make you feel safer? Because that's what they are; builds between 6.0.8 and 6.0.10 (for example). As they say in the test builds page itself:
These builds are expected to be almost as stable as released versions, and we accept bug reports against them.
The "development builds" on the other hand are what most people would consider as the "test builds", where new, untested, future code is testing the waters with the bravest of users. ;)
forum_guest wrote:but i do not like that logfiles in a forum can be accessed by everybody
I need to get ASAP to writing a FAQ: "Personal information included in VBox.log" (hint: almost none). The only potential information is your username (where you store your VMs) and potentially your DNS server. That's it. And no one in recent history has been hacked because of their username...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

forum_guest wrote: d4k0 used a testbuid and got rid of the problem. and no, i will not install a test build on my system
Hoity-toity. Then you'll just have to wait until a regular build comes out that fixes the problem.

Considering that the "test builds" attempt to fix bugs, and the "regular builds" occasionally have bugs, there is no real difference between them, nor any reason to be afraid of them, except the point in the next paragraph:

The only "danger" as such with the test builds is that the installers are not kept on the Virtualbox website by the developers after the next even-numbered "regular build" is released, and if your Windows host's Microsoft MSI installation database goes kerwango (which does happen) while that test build is installed, then you will need the test build installer to uninstall and/or upgrade Virtualbox. Solution: keep all of your program installers as a rule.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:Then you'll just have to wait until a regular build comes out that fixes the problem
If that problem is fixed, then the next security update will be on 2019-07-16, or somewhere around there... ;)

As for the rest of your comments, I couldn't agree more. It's been a really long time that I've actually run a "proper" release. I'm moving somewhere between "Test" and "Development" builds, mostly Development...
forum_guest

Post by forum_guest »

hello,

ok, i tried the test-build 6.0.9 (with updated guest additions) - well, to me it looks like a test-build. i could not start a vm. only error-message. back to 6.0.8.
Attachments
vbox2.PNG
vbox2.PNG (27.91 KiB) Viewed 9604 times
vbox1.PNG
vbox1.PNG (27.11 KiB) Viewed 9604 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

forum_guest wrote:well, to me it looks like a test-build. i could not start a vm. only error-message
I think you might have missed the instructions in that page, the "Installing Windows test builds" part and you most probably are running with SecureBoot...