Bluescreen error at VM start after Update to Windows 10 version 1903

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Ranguno
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Xp Home

Bluescreen error at VM start after Update to Windows 10 version 1903

Post by Ranguno »

Host: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1903, Build 18362.239
Guest: Windows Xp Home SP3 32 bit
VirtualBox: 6.0.8r130520 including Extension Pack and Guest Additions
Host-Antivirus: Avast Free Antivirus 19.6.

Windows features at crash time:
windows features under version 1903.PNG
windows features under version 1903.PNG (34.04 KiB) Viewed 4575 times
Hello,

coming from Windows 10 Pro 1809 I updated to Windows 10 Pro 1903 a few days ago and was faced with a bluescreen error "WHEA Uncorrectable Error" every time I started the guest.

According to the post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=93260&start=15#p450678 I did the following with no effect:
Start PowerShell as Admin | bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Windows 1903 comes with the following network adapter (Ethernet controller):
(x) Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller10.31.828.2018 from 2018-08-28

The bluescreen error disappeared after switching to the following driver:
Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller 9.1.409.2015 from 2015-04-09

Under 1809 I also used an old driver, namely from 2015-04-07, since driver (x) caused the bluescreen error as well.

My questions are:
Had someone the same problem?
How can I make VirtualBox accept the latest driver?

Enclosures
VBox.log at crash time
Guest configuration

Related thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=93260
Attachments
WinXp Home 32 Bit SP3.vbox.txt
(12.55 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Bluescreen - VBox.log
(34.44 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Last edited by Ranguno on 15. Jul 2019, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Bluescreen error at VM start after Update to Windows 10 version 1903

Post by scottgus1 »

Good on you for figuring out that a driver issue could be the problem! Most folks just scream "Fix this for meeeee!!!!"

FWIW, Virtualbox usually has to be uninstalled and reinstalled when a major update (as in 1809 > 1903) of Windows 10 happens. Have you tried that, especially with the Windows-required right-click-Run-As-Admin-even-if-you-already-are-admin? Your guests will still be there after the reinstall. And you must do the right-click-run-as-admin to install Virtualbox on a Windows host no matter what account privileges you have. Even Bill Gates has to right-click-run-as-admin. :lol:

Does your system run just fine with the old driver? If so, follow the old adage: "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I almost never update versions unless I have problems. And I rarely have problems...
Ranguno

Post by Ranguno »

Since I go online by the windows host I cannot obey "never change a running system"; support for version 1809 will end in may 2020.

Yes, I did un- and reinstall VirtualBox. When uninstalling I always click the program entry in the Add/Remove Programs list in the Windows Control Panel as the manual states. When installing I do the following:

(1) Installing the base package as standard user without rightclicking for admin rights
(2) Installing the extension pack as admin user without additional rightclicking for admin rights
(3) Finally as standard user installing the guest additions

If I get you right I should additionally rightclick for admin rights in steps (1) and (2). Ok, I will try that at the next major windows update after 1903.

Nevertheless it would be helpful if others (Bill Gates?) with the same driver problem could report that the additional rightclick method has solved the issue.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Ranguno wrote:If I get you right I should additionally rightclick for admin rights in steps (1) and (2)
Yes. We've found that in several instances this simple right-click » "Run As Administrator" is enough to solve driver installation problems, be it from overzealous antivirus, or overreacting UAC controls, or from bad permissions either in the filesystem or the registry.

Usually this is not required for a clean Win installation, that's why the developers will NOT (do me the favor[1] and) add the requirement in the installer, the one that when the installer is built it shows with the UAC shield icon overlay. With that simple change there would be no need to right-click » "Run As Administrator"...

[1]: Here's my e-mail/patch to the developer's mailing list, from 2017-08-27, "Patch for running the Windows installer with elevated privileges". No volunteers so far to test the patch, and the developers are really fighting me on this one, saying that it's not really required... :(
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ranguno

Post by Ranguno »

@socratis: This is weird, how can an end user think of something like this? At least a remark inside the manual, that would be helpful as long as the installer doesn't change.

But thanks, I will test it next time.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Yes it is weird, I don't have to do this with any other program. FWIW Virtualbox asks for privilege elevation during the install, so that should be enough. But experience on the forum has been that it isn't enough at times. We don't know why it isn't enough at times. Once, when someone was facing one of those times, someone said, Hey try this, and it worked, and others tried it, and it worked, so it has become the de-facto advice from the forum, because it works.

If the devs say it's unnecessary, then it's not really Virtualbox that requires it, but something on those particular hosts that gets in the way of Virtualbox working when r-c-r-a-a isn't done.

Go figure....
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Ranguno wrote:This is weird, how can an end user think of something like this?
Well, it's not common practice, I got to say, but not an unusual one. Plus, we're here to help... ;)
Ranguno wrote:At least a remark inside the manual, that would be helpful as long as the installer doesn't change.
Having that in the manual is similar to admitting that there's an issue, which will not be addressed. And... there's no issue.
This is NOT the issue you're looking for.
scottgus1 wrote:FWIW Virtualbox asks for privilege elevation during the install, so that should be enough
Somebody thinking logically would come up with the same conclusion. But unfortunately logic is something like unobtanium these days... ;)
scottgus1 wrote:If the devs say it's unnecessary, then it's not really Virtualbox that requires it, but something on those particular hosts that gets in the way of Virtualbox working when r-c-r-a-a isn't done
Precisely my understanding so far.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.