Error VT-x/AMDV

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
geekmodeon

Error VT-x/AMDV

Post by geekmodeon »

Hello Everyone,

I installed Virtualbox 6.0 on ubuntu 19.04 and I'd like to create a VM windows 8.1. This to use as a testing VM.
Once I've set everything up, when I hit the start button I get an error please see below:

VT-x/AMDV hardware acceleration is not available on your system

I've read that it has something to do with CPU, I can't change the CPU and I don't know how to solve this.
Anyone knows how to solve the problem? :(

Kind Regards,
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Error VT-x/AMDV

Post by scottgus1 »

VT-x / AMD-V are virtualization extensions that have to be built into the CPU and the computer's BIOS. And the BIOS setting for VT-x / AMD-V needs to be turned on. VT-x is the name for this setting on Intel CPU computers, and AMD/V is the name on AMD CPU computers.

Find out what CPU your computer has and check on its manufacturer's website if it has VT-x or AMD-V. You will have to check with your motherboard instructions to see if your BIOS has this setting and what the BIOS calls it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Though not directly on point, the following FAQ deals with another symptom of the same problem, and the solutions are the same.
FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
geekmodeon

Post by geekmodeon »

Aah I've checked this laptop, I see there's no VT-x so I guess that's why it's not working?
Attachments
no VT-x
no VT-x
Screenshot_2019-07-09 Product data Sony VAIO VGN-CS21S P Pink 14 1 1280 x 800 pixels Intel® Core™2 Duo T6400 4 GB DDR2-SDRA[...].png (9.86 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Yup! That Core-2 Duo has no VT-x, according to Intel. I'd say that laptop is a no-go for Virtualbox with a Windows 8.1 guest.
geekmodeon

Post by geekmodeon »

Ok, well time for a new laptop pff haha
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Probably, yes. A new laptop will probably have Windows 10 on it, which recently has been hard on Virtualbox in 10's default configuration. Expect a bit of trouble when you get Virtualbox installed on it, but come on back to the forum, there are easy solutions.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

A laptop with a real four-core processor, like an Intel Core I5 with no hyperthreading*, and 16GB RAM would give you plenty of room for Virtualbox guests.

* Hyperthreading doesn't count for Virtualbox use. A 4-core hyperthreaded I7 is going to perform the same as a 4-core no-hyperthread I5, since Virtualbox doesn't use the hyperthreads.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You could also moderate your requirements. For example, it would be possible to install Win7-32bit, provided it's configured to use a single core. Can't say I'd recommend it though, as once you've gotten used to running your OS lag-free on multiple cores you wouldn't want to go back to single core. Which incidentally also means that a 2 core host was never going to give you a good experience of host OS + Win 8.1 VM.

Otherwise I agree with Scottgus, and I'd shop for a PC with an i7 4-core CPU. I'd go with 4 cores and 8 threads, not because threads are relevant to VirtualBox, but because I run other apps (e.g. Handbrake) which can use them.