[Solved] The mouse started to behave strangely after I add the guest additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Eliot

[Solved] The mouse started to behave strangely after I add the guest additions

Post by Eliot »

I tried to set up a centos7 VM with a windows 10 host, and having it display on a 4K screen. Before I installed the guest additions, the screen wasn't used to his full capacity, but the mouse was working properly. After I installed the guest additions, the mouse stopped working properly.
  1. Sometime, only clicks on the bottom banner are working
  2. Sometime, right clicks work. When that happens, I can move and resize the windows. However, I can't acces the bottom banner.
  3. Sometime, nothing work.
All those behaviour happen without any change to the setting, and I didn't found anything close to it.
Solution that I already tried :
  • Increasing the amount of video memory to 128Mo
  • Increasing the RAM
  • sudo killall -HUP VBoxClient (Comes from ticket 14743)
  • changing the version of virtualBox (5.2.30 and 6.0.8 )
I can't find anything else, does someone have any ideas or advices ?
Last edited by socratis on 8. Jul 2019, 19:34, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: The mouse started to behave strangely after I add the guest additions

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Eliot

Post by Eliot »

Here is the log. In this instance, I began in state 2 (only right clicks work) then state 3 (nothing work) then state 2 again. Also something I forgot to mention earlier is that the mouse pointer change when he is on top of the VM, like it's intended behaviour, and that when I put my login and my password, the mouse works perfectly.
Attachments
MG_log.zip
(24.56 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Eliot wrote:and that when I put my login and my password, the mouse works perfectly.
So, it works now?

A couple of notes from your log:
00:00:01.936615 Guest OS type: 'Linux_64'
You are having a 64-bit Debian client, you should select the Debian_64 template, not the generic Linux_64.
00:00:02.216021 [/USB/HidMouse/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:02.216022   Mode <string>  = "absolute" (cb=9)
00:00:02.776997 VUSB: Attached 'HidMouse' to port 1 on RootHub#1 (FullSpeed)
You have selected the USB Tablet, and that seems to attach just fine.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Eliot

Post by Eliot »

So, it works now?
No, it works only during the time where I put my login and password, once it's done, the mouse start to behave like I already described.
You are having a 64-bit Debian client, you should select the Debian_64 template, not the generic Linux_64.
The OS is centos7, not debian, and there is no specific centos template, that's why I chose the generic Linux_64.
You have selected the USB Tablet, and that seems to attach just fine.
If you speak about the setting that is in system > motherboard, I tried the 3 options and it was the one that worked the best.

The mouse detect perfectly when it's on the guest and when it's on the os, however click don't register as they normally should.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Eliot wrote:The OS is centos7, not debian, and there is no specific centos template, that's why I chose the generic Linux_64.
I'm sorry, my mistake, I thought you had a Debian guest. Yes, there's no "CentOS_64" specific template, but there's a "RedHat_64" one. Choose that. And go to the VM Settings » System » Processor » Enable PAE/NX: check that, it's enabled by default for the RedHat template.

Other than that, I don't see anything funny from the log. I would like to see the "recipe" of the VM, the ".vbox" file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Explorer".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Also, the file "C:\Users\<you>\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml", ZIPPED as well...
Eliot

Post by Eliot »

Thanks for your answer, I changed to the redhat64 template, and the option PAE/NX was enabled. It still doesn't work, but now, from what I saw, the behaviour is now quite consistant :
Right click work fine, however left click are a mess : at the beginning, I can use left click normally, but once I use it to open something (for example, clicking on a shortcut on on the taskbar), they don't work anymore for thing like draging, resizing, closing a windows. If I do a right click at that point, it reset the behaviour, and I can no use right click normally again, until I use it to open another thing.
I attached both files you asked for, I hope that it will help.
Thanks for your help.
Attachments
VirtualBox.zip
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
MG.zip
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" value="3840,2020"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastNormalWindowPosition" value="-972,-2131,640,480,max"/>
That's a really big size, and some really weird positions for the window! Something's not right here... How about you try with a smaller size (like 1280x1024) to make sure this isn't a HiDPI issue?
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution" value="X"/>
Same with this, this is an invalid setting, where/how did that end up there?
Eliot

Post by Eliot »

socratis wrote:That's a really big size, and some really weird positions for the window! Something's not right here... How about you try with a smaller size (like 1280x1024) to make sure this isn't a HiDPI issue?I
I run the VM on my secondary screen, which is a 4k screen : that explain the size and the position. But anyway, the problem wasn't solved even when I run the VM on my primary screen which has a more standard size.

I solved my problem by changing the version of the OS, so I guess you can mark it as [Solved] or [Worked around]. I'd guess the problem was in the interactions between that particular version of the OS and VirtualBox, but I still have no ideas how to solve them without changing the OS version.

Thank for your help
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Eliot wrote:I solved my problem by changing the version of the OS
Interesting, really interesting...

Marking as [Solved].