Virtual Machine terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
chriscee

Virtual Machine terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Post by chriscee »

Hello please ever since I updated from VirtualBox 5.2 to 6.0 I've been having issues on starting up my existing virtual machine and even having issues as well starting a newly created virtual machine.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Virtualbox again several times yet I kept getting this error message of "Virtual machine terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1)".

Please assist me, am running a kali Linux as host system, on a hp250 computer.

Please help me!
Attachments
IMG_20190707_205427_965.JPG
IMG_20190707_205427_965.JPG (65.34 KiB) Viewed 44409 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual Machine terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
chriscee

Re: Virtual Machine terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Post by chriscee »

Please here is the log file Attached. Please help
Attachments
Windows 8.1-2019-01-24-17-44-28.zip
(24.81 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
chriscee

Post by chriscee »

If I attempt creating a new virtual machine in it, after the setting and try to hit Start button. It crashes with same error code.

When i check "show log" option. No log file is generated all i see is
"No log files found. Press the Refresh button to rescan the log folder /home/username/VirtualBox VMs/Linux/Logs."

If i rescan, I still get same thing. please help
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.22_Debian r126257 linux.amd64 (Nov 9 2018 11:12:06) release log
The quoted text means that you are not running VirtualBox, you are running a third party fork. You need to either go to whomever supports the fork and ask them, or demonstrate the same problem with the current official release of VirtualBox, downloaded from here.
chriscee

Post by chriscee »

The quote "VirtualBox VM 5.2.22_Debian r126257 linux.amd64 (Nov 9 2018 11:12:06) release log" you talking about was generated when my virtual Machine when it was bug and error free.

Besides I just downloaded a virtual box from the official link you sent me now. But still its not outputing anything to Log file after crashing.

Please help
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

chriscee wrote:The quote "VirtualBox VM 5.2.22_Debian r126257 linux.amd64 (Nov 9 2018 11:12:06) release log" you talking about was generated when my virtual Machine when it was bug and error free.
That changes nothing, except: you gave me a log that doesn't contain the problem? How was that going to help the diagnosis?
chriscee wrote:Besides I just downloaded a virtual box from the official link you sent me now. But still its not outputing anything to Log file after crashing.
If it displayed that error message, it created a log. I'll wait until I see a relevant log before commenting further.
chriscee

Post by chriscee »

Please bear with me. The virtual machine doesn't log any error to log file. is there a way I go about this please..
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Inside the VM folder should be a "Logs" subfolder. Inside the "Logs" subfolder is the latest log, called "VBox.log". Zip that and attach it here.

p.s. Please don't keep calling it a crash. What you show above is an error message, which will be followed by a termination of the process, at which point the log becomes available.
chriscee

Post by chriscee »

I get your point at that. But it doesn't create any log file in Logs sub-directory when the error actually occurs. I tried severally
esalvesen
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Different

Post by esalvesen »

Which kernel do you use on the host?
Linux-5.0 is no go here, but linux-4.19 works.
NormanBreau

Post by NormanBreau »

I had the exact same issue.

On Ubuntu 18.04 (4.15.0-60-generic) host, I was running VirtualBox 6.0.10 yesterday it was working fine. This morning I applied updates and something about that package of updates broke VirtualBox with this error, but no logs are being produced.

I have tried:
  • Upgrading VirtualBox 6.0.12
  • Using the test build 6.0.13
  • The upgrade updated my kernal to 4.15.0-62-generic, but downgrading back to 4.15.0-60-generic did not resolve the issue
  • Some googling had me trying to run vboxdrv.sh setup to rebuild modules, but that script doesn't appear to run completely (I don't see the success line printed), but exits without any additional errors. The logs found under /var/log/ showings "Building the x module" where x is: "main VirtualBox", "net filter", "net adapter", "PCI pass-through", then stops with on other lines. (4 Building lines in total).
  • I had look for logs under ~/VirtualBox VMs/<my vm>/Logs; logs were found but did not include anything for today. Moving the logs out so and starting the VM did not produce new logs. Additionally the "Show Logs" context menu item states there are no logs found.
I was unable to:
  • start vms
  • create new vms
  • install virtualbox extensions
Downgrading VirtualBox to 5.2.32_Ubuntu r132056 (The latest package that is inside the apt repository) does however appears to work for me.

I do think a package/shared library update is probably the cause of the issue, since virtualbox is not actually producing any logging information for me, I don't really know where to start looking.

Other relevant information...
I am confident that an apt update/apt upgrade is what caused virtualbox 6.0 to break for me. Because I launched virtualbox this morning just fine, and then I applied updates to my system. After applying updates, I was unable to open the VirtualBox Manager GUI. There was no error dialog, just simply would not open.

Trying to launch the GUI from terminal using /usr/bin/virtualbox, an error was produced stating it could not find openssl version 1.1.1. So I went over to openssl, downloaded the sources for 1.1.1d and compiled & installed openssl 1.1.1d, and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include my built openssl lib. This solved the issue of opening the virtualbox GUI, but then as stated above, I was greeted with the exit code 1 (0x1) error when trying to start my virtual machines.
romulo albuquerque

Post by romulo albuquerque »

I use windows 10, what solved to me was to disable the hyper-v feature by executing the command:
dism.exe /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

This is the "Linux Hosts" forum. Your tip is not relevant here, unless Microsoft released Hyper-v (and dism) for Linux and didn't announce it.
Phil_D

Post by Phil_D »

Did this ever get resolved as I am having exactly the same issue.

Have installed VirtualBox 6.1 from here - Created a Linux VM machine but whenever I try to start it I get this error.

I do have logs which the original poster seemed to not be able to find.