Can't create shared folder, missing export

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
twatoracleacct

Can't create shared folder, missing export

Post by twatoracleacct »

I'm trying to add a shared folder to my Windows 98 VM. I have added the guest additions ISO. When I try to open the drive, I get the error:
The VBOXWINDOWSADDITIONS.EXE file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:NtQueryObject.
Can someone help? Thanks.

Host machine is Arch Linux.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't create shared folder, missing export

Post by socratis »

There are no Guest Additions (GAs) for Windows 98. See ch. 4.2.1. Guest Additions for Windows. Your options are; 1) Windows networking (but it's really old and might not be supported), and 2) if you want to transfer files from your host to your VM, to use the Virtual ISO (VISO) tool.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
twatoracleacct

Post by twatoracleacct »

Thank you. Where can I find the VISO tool? I can't find any information on it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Open the PDF of your Virtualbox manual, search for "viso". Takes you to section 9.36.

Personally, it looks complicated to me. I'd use 'ImgBurn' to make an ISO of a folder with the desired files in it.

FWIW, the ISO will only allow you to get the files into the guest. To get files out of a guest, and assuming you have a Windows 7 or later host, you can attach a .VHD disk to your guest. Windows 7 & later can mount .VHDs in the host as well. The .VHD does not have to be removed from the guest to mount it in the host, but the guest has to be completely shut down, not save-stated. You can mount the .VHD in the host OS and transfer files while the guest is shut down completely. Then you can unmount the .VHD from the host and start the guest. I would make a fixed-size VHD to avoid the design glitch in dynamic VHD's that may cause data corruption. Pick a reasonable size, considering the amount of data Windows 98 would have likely used, (a GB or two?) and format it in the guest, FAT32 or something.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:Personally, it looks complicated to me
Clicking on the "Create ad hoc VISO" and having a two pane FileManager-like interface, where you add files at will? Can't think of a simpler interface...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Probably would be really simple, if I could find the little critter.... :lol:
Where is "Create ad hoc VISO" hiding? Is it post-6.0.4?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Either click on the CD icon in the VM Window, or in the Details pane » Optical drive. Interestingly, it's missing from the Storage settings and the Media Manager. And yes, it's there in 6.0.4, but it's even better in the 6.0.97 development builds... ;)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, I see it now, thanks! Only place I can get it is when a guest is running, in the Devices menu, Optical Drives, Create Ad Hoc VISO, or right-clicking the CD icon in the guest's status bar. Can't find it anywhere in the Details pane, Optical drive (still on 6.0.4, will have to try an upgrade one day).

Yes, much easier interface than the command line in Section 9.36...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:Can't find it anywhere in the Details pane, Optical drive
Just click on the "Optical Drive", there's a menu coming up, similar (but not the same) as the image below. This is an older picture, and it's missing the "Create ad hoc VISO", but I'm all for ... recycling older images ;)

scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Gotcha. Never know those could be clicked on. Learning all sorts of new things today!
optical drive ad hoc viso.png
optical drive ad hoc viso.png (27.35 KiB) Viewed 8599 times