[Resolved] Configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager not installed correctly.

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jhoelsch

[Resolved] Configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager not installed correctly.

Post by jhoelsch »

When starting my virtual image, I am getting the following message
Install problem!
The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly.

I suspect this is caused by a running out of storage issue.
I need assistance with logging in so I can remove some large files.

- John
Attachments
VBox.log
(127 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly.

Post by scottgus1 »

This message appears to be a common message within a Linux OS, not from Virtualbox. Try googling it and see where the search results take you.

The log seems to show a running guest window without issues, I think.

Anyhow, can't see this being a Windows Host issue, maybe Linux Guest instead, if not 'not a Virtualbox problem'.
jhoelsch

Re: Configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly.

Post by jhoelsch »

I understand.
However, I have a black screen after this error message and am not able to figure out how to complete a login to Linux.
That's why I posted the issue to VBox.

Thanks,
John
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You'll have to take the log-in issue to a Linux forum. Did you try the search I recommended? I did. There were lots of results.

Think of it this way: Virtualbox is a "hardware" provider. If you installed an OS on a PC with a Gigabyte motherboard, and the OS stopped being able to log in, you would probably not ask Gigabyte about how to fix it.

If the Virtualbox window is running something related to the guest OS, such as showing an error message from the guest OS, and you are not getting any Virtualbox popups claiming issues with Virtualbox, then chances are really good that Virtualbox is working and the problem is within the guest OS.

One thing you can do is install another Linux guest, then attach the non-log-in-able guest's virtual drive to the new guest. Use the new guest to get files off the old guest's virtual drive.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Not a "Windows Hosts" discussion. Topic moved to "Linux Guests" forum.
jhoelsch

Post by jhoelsch »

After receiving black screen, used ctl-alt-F2 to get a login prompt.
Logged in as root, found a large file to remove.
Terminated VBox, and was able to successfully restart VBox without the GNOME Power Manager error.

Problem resolved.