What to do to master using VirtualBox inside out

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MGadAllah

What to do to master using VirtualBox inside out

Post by MGadAllah »

Most of YouTube videos I watch to learn something especially regarding programming I've found most people using VirtualBox when they explain something.
Also when It comes to testing operating systems, everyone using VirtualBox.
So I want to learn VirtualBox inside out and make best use of it, what should I do?
I am not looking or quick hit and run and I want to learn in my own, so please advise for best thing to do.
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: What to do to master using VirtualBox inside out

Post by socratis »

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Thanks.
Where to find a .pdf for the whole manual to print it and study it to the letter.
Of if you have a better option I will be much appreciated as I am taking this matter seriously.
Thanks for your valuable time.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you install VirtualBox on your host (you definitely should), there's a PDF version of the User Manual installed with it. I don't know your host, so I can't point you exactly to the location, but here are your options:
  • Linux host: "/opt/VirtualBox/UserManual.pdf".
  • OSX host: Just go to the menu Help » Contents. That opens the PDF version of the manual. Located in "/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/UserManual.pdf".
  • Windows host: "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\doc\UserManual.pdf". Assuming that you installed VirtualBox in the default location.
  • Solaris host: I don't have a clue... :|
  • Online version: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.0.8/UserManual.pdf. Note that it's version specific and I linked to the current version.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Thanks a lot and too much appreciated.
I am using windows and found it exactly where you pointed.
May I ask about the meaning of your signature?
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

MGadAllah wrote:May I ask about the meaning of your signature?
Sure... ;)

The first part refers to the "phobia" that some users have that they're revealing personal information when they're providing a log. The only real information that we can see is the location of your VMs (which might include your username), and maybe your DNS server. That's it. But some people are "hiding" information, replacing potentially useful information. I've seen people hiding/obfuscating the UUIDs of the VM, a fake UUID, a meaningless UUID except in the context of VirtualBox, and are making our lives difficult to impossible when trying to read/interpret the logs.

The second part refers to the tendency of people to hit the "Quote" button when they want to reply, instead of the "Post Reply" button at the bottom. Sometimes you end up with a 20 line quoted message, just so that the person replying can say "Thanks, it works!". I'm trying to raise awareness of that fact...
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Thanks for replying.
Leeson learned sir, you have my word to post real log to help others helping me and to post a reply to make the thread clean and useful for other.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I should write a FAQ at some point... "VBox.log and personal identifying information: None" ;)

Happy reading...
And don't be afraid to experiment with each "feature" you're reading. Create new VMs, test the feature you're interested, delete the VM. Don't try things on your important/crucial VMs.
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

I am reading the manual line by line because I do not know what could be done with VirtualBox so it won't hurt to real the full manual so I can imagine the best usage later on.
My real computer or host computer only has three thing:
1- Windows 10 enterprise built 1903 enterprise with all drivers.
2- Techsmith Camtasia Studio.
3- VirtualBox.
Any software I will ever need I will use it on a virtual machine, this way I will reduce reinstall or reimaging my computer frequently.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

MGadAllah wrote:Any software I will ever need I will use it on a virtual machine, this way I will reduce reinstall or reimaging my computer frequently.
A friend of mine, and the co-translator of VirtualBox in Greek, does exactly that. He has a host that has mainly VirtualBox, and after that he has several VMs; one is firewall, the other is for banking, third one for browsing, etc. Works fine for him. Recently he switched his host from Arch to Mint, with almost no disruption in his workflow...
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

I am not sure if I understand some of your reply correctly.
If you have the time to clear it for me I will be too much appreciated as I am not technical guru yet ;)
What I do know is that firewall is something to be used before everything, so if he is using a VM as a firewall, that makes me wondering if is it possible to connect several VMs and use it as you mentioned.
I mean like one VM as a defender line before everything else, then another VM using browser only, and the other for online banking.
And all VM got connected and using the same OS installed separately on each one.
Actually that remind me with the OS recommended by Edward Snowden Qubes OS as when I read about it I've found it consists of several VMs, but I've found my desktop and laptop not compatible with it.
I wish if I can do like your friend if I understand it correctly.
Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox has networking capabilities that allow a complicated setup of virtual networks between several guests on one host, and you can install a router/firewall OS like pfSense in one guest to act as a buffer between your other guests and the host, or between different sets of guests. It is possible, if your host has two network jacks, to set up a Virtualbox guest as a firewall for the host, and if that guest isn't running then the host won't be able to access the internet or the physical network. With a pfSense guest filtering another guest, you can use a pfSense firewall rule to block access to the host's physical network while allowing the host's internet connection through to the guest (also called sandboxing). Lots of things are possible.

See the manual, section 6, on Virtualbox networks.
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Thanks a lot for your valuable time replying my post.
A lot of topics over my head indeed.
I will study the manual 1st to do not bother you and other valuable members with obvious things that I should know by default.
I can not deny my interest to do what you and socratis mentioned.