[Solved] VM + Win10 (rev 1903) - VERR (Missing Kernel & NO VMX)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bb77

[Solved] VM + Win10 (rev 1903) - VERR (Missing Kernel & NO VMX)

Post by bb77 »

Hello guys,

Yesterday I became a happy user of updated version of Windows 10 system - 1903. System itself works fine but my VirtualBox where I am using LinuxMint - no.
Trying to run it I am getting errors
virtualbox_error.png
virtualbox_error.png (8.13 KiB) Viewed 13453 times
: VERR_NEM_MISSING_KERNEL_API + VERR_VMX_NO_VMX.

Before I decided to ask You I read almost the whole forum regarding this topic.

Finally I already tried different solutions:
- VT-x is not enabled in the BIOS. Yes - I used VM and it works.
- The CPU doesn't support VT-x. Yes, it does, I used VM
- Hyper-V virtualization is enabled in Windows. No, I turned off hyper-v (example: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off)
- checked BIOS where Virtualisation is Enabled

I think that new revision of Windows 10 is the main problem.

Do you know what else should I check?

Thank you for any comments and suggestions.

BR,
Bartek
Last edited by socratis on 27. May 2019, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: VM + Win10 (rev 1903) - VERR (Missing Kernel & NO VMX)

Post by BillG »

No, it isn't the version upgrade. VirtualBox runs fine on version 1903. Virtualbox 6.0.8 . Host and guest both Windows 10 v1903 .
1903.PNG
Bill
bb77

Post by bb77 »

OK. Thanks - that's good info that Win10 v1903 itself is not a problem.
I've checked Windows features too that could be turn on/off and
windows_features.png
windows_features.png (57.07 KiB) Viewed 13428 times
...maybe someone of you can find here anything is not allowed to run along with VM.

BR,
Bartek
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

turn off 'virtual machine platform' and 'windows sandbox'?
bb77

Post by bb77 »

Yes, I turned of 'virtual machine platform' and 'windows sandbox' and ... it is working!
Honestly I don't know what happened because I tried to this several times before but I probably turned off something else.

Anyway, thanks for your support and now I am playing with VM.

The thread is closed.

BR,
Bartek
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Yes, sandbox is another one to add to the list of things that use hardware virtualization.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Here's the list that I have so far:
  • Application Guard
  • Credential Guard
  • Device Guard
  • <any> * Guard
  • Containers
  • Hyper-V
  • Virtual Machine Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
  • Windows Sandbox
Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Peter Phoenix

Re: [Solved] VM + Win10 (rev 1903) - VERR (Missing Kernel & NO VMX)

Post by Peter Phoenix »

All the so-called "solutions" provide here and in other threads related to this subject do not work. Thus the problem has not been "solved".

And, because "I'm a new member" on the forums, I can't post attachments larger than "2MB" or URLS (I wanted to provide both Logs and Screenshots via OneDrive, but I'm "not allowed").

All I need is for Oracle to provide an update to VirtualBox 6.0.8 that makes it work on Windows 10 Release 1903. Pure and simple. Not some obscure, hard-to-follow set of instructions that probably won't work anyway. Just fix your software so that I can continue to operate my VMs () as I have been doing for years.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(33.62 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Ah, yes, just what I was looking for in the morning, Peter. Another rant from a first-poster. Nothing like a rant to make me want to help....

The rules on how long new posters have to wait to post links strongly limits spam. Too bad it can't do anything about rants.

The limit on attachment size, though seemingly tight, does encourage zipping, and keeps the forum server from constantly having to upgrade storage drives.

Pete, please read this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92008
then act accordingly.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Peter Phoenix wrote:All the so-called "solutions" provide here and in other threads related to this subject do not work
For you maybe. But there's a ton of threads that have been marked as [Solved], so I'm not sure where you came up with that conclusion. Let me guess; your own case and your own case only.

You're replying to a thread that's already marked as [Solved] for the love of bytes!!!
Peter Phoenix wrote:Thus the problem has not been "solved".
Talk about yourself. The OP has clearly solved his issue in the thread that they started. So, unless you want to share the same success story in this thread, I'd suggest by start reading: Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose the title carefully.
Peter Phoenix wrote:All I need is for Oracle to provide an update to VirtualBox 6.0.8 that makes it work on Windows 10 Release 1903
VirtualBox *does* work on 1903, otherwise everybody and their cousin would be screaming "murder". I have one sitting right next to me actually. And I know that one data point doesn't make a case, but there are a lot of data points out there.
Peter Phoenix wrote:Just fix your software so that I can continue to operate my VMs () as I have been doing for years.
Just fix your computer so that you can continue to operate your VMs () as you have been doing for years.

There, I fixed it for you... If the APIs are missing or your installation is incomplete, there's not that much that VirtualBox can do.

BTW, you're getting a hardening error for your ATI drivers:
00:00:05.591089 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection:
    rc=VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT fImage=1 fProtect=0x5 fAccess=0x2
    \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0342855.
    inf_amd64_e2ef814e68f7dc8c\B342717\atikmdag.sys: NumberOfSections=101,
    implementation max is 42
Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Peter Phoenix

Post by Peter Phoenix »

socratis wrote:For you maybe. But there's a ton of threads that have been marked as [Solved], so I'm not sure where you came up with that conclusion. Let me guess; your own case and your own case only.
socratis wrote:You're replying to a thread that's already marked as [Solved] for the love of bytes!!!
socratis wrote:Talk about yourself. The OP has clearly solved his issue in the thread that they started. So, unless you want to share the same success story in this thread, I'd suggest by start reading: Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose the title carefully.
Please, pardon my lack of imagination, but am I not also experiencing the same error in Windows 10 v1903 as the original poster? Yes, his issue may have been solved, but mine has not. I specifically replied to this thread because the OP had the same error messages that I get, and I was hoping for further investigation.

But if you really must know how I came to the conclusion that Oracle VirtualBox is not working in Windows 10 v1903? I started it by selecting the icon on my start menu, clicked "Windows 7 x86" to select the virtual machine I wanted, then clicked "Start" on the toolbar. I few seconds later the error dialog box came up. If that isn't enough from which to draw a conclusion, then I don't know what is.
socratis wrote:VirtualBox *does* work on 1903, otherwise everybody and their cousin would be screaming "murder". I have one sitting right next to me actually. And I know that one data point doesn't make a case, but there are a lot of data points out there.
It might work on your installation of Windows 1903, but not on mine, even though it was working flawlessly on 1809. And I know that a single data point will not provide an answer. You are assuming that I have read only this thread. I read several threads on the subject, some of which had more than 100 replies themselves, but to no avail. None provided an adequate answer, and this is why I posted a reply to this thread.
socratis wrote:Just fix your computer so that you can continue to operate your VMs () as you have been doing for years.

There, I fixed it for you... If the APIs are missing or your installation is incomplete, there's not that much that VirtualBox can do.
Not need to get cynical, as your attitude will serve no purpose other than alienating your users. In the other related thread on this subject I have read, the one thing I have noticed clearly is your (socratis) attitude towards those you're supposed to be helping. You threat those seeking assistance with contempt and distrust. It's almost as if you are not actually willing to help at all.
socratis wrote:BTW, you're getting a hardening error for your ATI drivers:
00:00:05.591089 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection:
    rc=VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT fImage=1 fProtect=0x5 fAccess=0x2
    \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0342855.
    inf_amd64_e2ef814e68f7dc8c\B342717\atikmdag.sys: NumberOfSections=101,
    implementation max is 42
Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas.
This is the first bit of possibly useful advice I have read. But it did not work. Rolling back my ATI drivers to an earlier version didn't help as VirtualBox still gave me the errors "VERR_NEM_MISSING_KERNEL_API", "VERR_SVM_NO_SVM". So I restored my drivers to the latest versions, and still no luck.

Sorry, Socratis, but I have not yet found a solution to this problem, other than one you, and Oracle as a whole, may not approve of, as it involves the use of competing virtualization software. This is what I did:
  1. I used the Oracle VirtualBox Virtual Media Manager ("File" -> "Virtual Media Manager" or <CTRL>+<D>) to convert my virtual hard disks to VMDK format.
  2. I installed VMWare Workstation Player 15 and created a VM that used the converted virtual drive.
  3. Instead of booting to the converted drive, I booted the virtual machine using Acronis True Image, and used the "Universal Restore" options to allow the Windows 7 system to boot into "radically different hardware". If not for this step, then the internal differences between VirtualBox and VMWare would have caused havoc with the Windows installation on the virtual hard disk.
  4. So now I get to continue using my virtual machines as always, and I do not need to use Oracle VirtualBox to do it. And the kicker of the deal is, VMWare provides far better performance and VirtualBox ever did, including seamless integration via it's "Unity" function.
But now here is the real facepalm moment, and the reason why Oracle will not like my solution:
  1. On an entirely different computer that also runs Windows 10 v1903 and VirtualBox 6.0.8, I was experiencing the same errors.
  2. But instead of repeating the rather lengthy procedure listed above, all I did was install VMWare Workstation Player 15.
  3. Surprise! Oracle Virtual Machine 6.0.8 started working again, as it always should have.
So really, it would appear that my problem does NOT lie with my drivers as you so eloquently stated. Instead the problem does indeed exist within VirtualBox itself. I have no explanation as to why installing a competitors product (VMWare Workstation Player 15) solved the problem, but it did. So maybe if your can ask your developers to fix their software I may be convinced to once again continue using VirtualBox as I always have.
"for the love of bytes!!!", "Just fix your computer" or "there's not that much that VirtualBox can do"
Socratis, on a completely off-topic side note, you should really lighten up on your treatment of members on these forums. Your apparent "holier than thou" attitude does not garner very much confidence in your abilities, and completely exposes your unwillingness to be of any help at all. Your attitude in truth is the prime reason why I'll no longer be recommending Oracle VirtualBox to my clients.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Peter, neither you nor your customers have a relationship with Oracle. You can all use or not use VirtualBox as you like, it makes no difference to us.

This is a user support forum, run by other users. None of us is obligated to help you or even be interested in your problems. So the best way to get advice is to ask an interesting question. Failing that, a polite one on a topic not covered to death already. A rant about how free software devs done you wrong (and your "clients") is not very interesting, and certainly not useful to us.

You should thank Socratis for answering at least. My own response was to move to the next topic.
Peter Phoenix

Post by Peter Phoenix »

Yes, I understand that this is a user support forum. And I was hoping for a solution to my problem by posting to a thread related to my problem. I was not expecting a "it makes no difference to us".

Does "None of us is obligated to help you or even be interested in your problems" really invite new forum members such as myself from bothering to return? I'd have been satisfied with a redirect link to another thread, or even a "we're working on the problem". Except I get lip and attitude and no viable solutions.

Thus far the approach to resolving my problem is achieving nothing other than strengthening my argument for alternative solutions to virtualization software other than Oracle VirtualBox which I've preferred and supported for years.
Last edited by socratis on 26. Jun 2019, 14:44, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Peter Phoenix wrote:Yes, I understand that this is a user support forum.
Your tone of entitlement says otherwise. You are entitled to nothing: other users owe you nothing and even if we were Oracle employees, you are not an Oracle customer.

If you want to go try another virtualization solution then go for it! Please do! Nobody here will stop you; and please don't feel that you need to keep us informed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Peter Phoenix wrote:And I was hoping for a solution to my problem by posting to a thread related to my problem
No. You didn't just "post to a thread". You started a rant, a biased rant. You were replying to a thread marked as [Solved], stating emphatically that the solutions don't work! Don't you see the fallacy in your argument?
Peter Phoenix wrote:I was not expecting a "it makes no difference to us".
You come in with the attitude of "Hey, if this doesn't work, I'm moving away, I'm switching!". Really? Should I sell my stock now before the markets take a nose dive?

We do help people, we're volunteers here, but please... don't threaten us that you're going to leave. That's where the "it makes no difference to us" comes in. If you want help, great, let's try and analyze the problem and figure out what's going on. But if you come swinging left and right in your first post, expect the appropriate attitude back.

You didn't say "Hey guys, I tried this and that and it didn't work". You came in with "so called 'solutions', problem not solved". You see the difference right? So, don't accuse me of taking that tone with you, I took a tone that was appropriate as a reply to your ironic remark.
Peter Phoenix wrote:Pure and simple. Not some obscure, hard-to-follow set of instructions that probably won't work anyway. Just fix your software so that I can continue to operate my VMs () as I have been doing for years.
Why do you think you're entitled to give orders? What rights do you think you have and where did they come from? We're all here scratching our collective heads for months now, trying to find a solution to this Hyper-V $hitstorm, and you come in and demand that we provide you with a clean solution? One that your prejudiced attitude has already determined that it's not going to work? Please...

If you want help, help us help you. That's how it goes on the free/open-source world, that's how it works on peer-to-peer communities. You don't demand, you contribute. And I don't mean grief, attitude and troll-like behavior...