[Fixed] Error recording from CLI: "The machine is not mutable, saved or running" (#18723)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
taszilo

[Fixed] Error recording from CLI: "The machine is not mutable, saved or running" (#18723)

Post by taszilo »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18723: Error recording from CLI: "The machine is not mutable, saved or running"
Host: Win10 x64
Guest: Win10 x64
VirtualBox Version 6.0.8

VM is running in headless mode. I would like to start to record the display from command line. Earlier it was possible by executing this command:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage controlvm <vm_name> videocap on
And when I wanted to stop the recording the following command was executed:

VBoxManage controlvm <vm_name> videocap off
If I know it well from VBox 6.0(?) this is the valid command for my purpose:

VBoxManage controlvm <vm_name> recording on
But now I got these error messages:
VBoxManage.exe: error: The machine is not mutable, saved or running (state is Running)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code VBOX_E_INVALID_VM_STATE (0x80bb0002), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine, callee IUnknown
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "COMSETTER(Enabled)(TRUE)" at line 1879 of file VBoxManageControlVM.cpp
When the GUI of the VBox is used for starting/stopping records (Settings\Display\Recording\Enable Recording), the process is done well, but executing from Command Prompt is getting me stuck...

Does anyone have any idea? Is it an issue that I haven't realized in the reported bugs, or it is no more possible to start/stop recordings (from console) when the VM is running?
Last edited by socratis on 16. Jul 2019, 19:40, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Fixed].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error recording from CLI: "The machine is not mutable, saved or running"

Post by socratis »

Confirmed on OSX 10.11.6 with a random (WinXP) VM. And I couldn't find anything in the Bugtracker, so I suggest you go ahead and file a new ticket.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
taszilo

Re: Error recording from CLI: "The machine is not mutable, saved or running"

Post by taszilo »

All right then a ticket was written by me:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18723

I hope something's gonna happen :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Error recording from CLI: "The machine is not mutable, saved or running" (#18723)

Post by socratis »

Thanks for the info. I updated the title, 1st post and added my experience to the ticket as well. I might ping a dev on IRC to see what they think...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Error recording from CLI: "The machine is not mutable, saved or running" (#18723)

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Using VirtualBox" from "Windows guests" as this is a multi-host issue, not a Windows guest one.

Word has it that the problem has been identified and fixed. Will wait for the next test/dev. build to confirm the fix.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Fixed with VirtualBox 6.0.10, please try it and confirm.