[Resolved] Installer asks for VirtualBox-4.2.2-81494-MultiArch_amd64.msi

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rick00

[Resolved] Installer asks for VirtualBox-4.2.2-81494-MultiArch_amd64.msi

Post by rick00 »

Hello!

I can´t install Virtual Box 6.0.8 on my Win 7 Pro x64 Host.
Completely new windows 7 system, no previous VB Versions installed.

Error Message on Install Process: "The feature you are trying to install is on a network resource that is unavaillable"
Error Message
Error Message
VirtualBox608_InstallError.PNG (26.36 KiB) Viewed 2383 times
Any ideas to fix that problem?

Rick
Last edited by rick00 on 22. Jun 2019, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installer asks for VirtualBox-4.2.2-81494-MultiArch_amd64.msi

Post by socratis »

Rick,
This is a problem with your Windows installer, trying to find an old installation. I suggest you do a complete uninstall of whatever VirtualBox previous installs you have. I see that the error is referring to VirtualBox 4.2.2, that's quite an old one. Did you have that installed before?

Previously such problems meant that the user had to download the named package (4.2.2) and not run the installer, but extracting the files (which includes the "VirtualBox-4.2.2-81494-MultiArch_amd64.msi") to a temp folder and point the installer to that file. So, download the old installer, and then run:
  • 
    VirtualBox-4.2.2-81494-Win.exe -extract
For reference, here's the link to that installer: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 94-Win.exe
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rick00

Post by rick00 »

Hi,
thanX for your fast response!

The hole PC is completely new installed, from the base! So there are no previous installed versions of Virtual Box, or other programms / software.
So I doesn´t have any idea why this message appears.

Rick
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Me neither then, I don't really understand how you could have gotten yourself into such a situation...

But this is a problem with your MSI installer, not VirtualBox. The VirtualBox installer is a standard MSI install file. It's not VirtualBox that fails at this point, it's your Windows installer. Check to see if you have any corrupted MSI database files:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The above is no bug, Windows isn't imagining that such a specific version of VirtualBox has been installed before. This definitely is not a clean install of Windows. Most likely some other software has been installed that is derived from VirtualBox, and the installer ran from media not currently connected to the host.

Btw, moving this topic to "Windows Hosts" forum since it is also definitely not generic "Using VirtualBox" material.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You posted this originally in the "Discuss the 6.0.8 release", but since this isn't a 6.0.8 specific discussion, I split our discussion from the original thread.

I'm also moving it to the "Windows Hosts" section from the "Using VirtualBox" one.
mpack to the rescue! :)
rick00

Post by rick00 »

I could fix the problem with the help of your post: "VirtualBox-4.2.2-81494-Win.exe -extract"
After unpacking the files to the temp folder the installer runs without any problems.

ThanX for your help!
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Resolved] Installer asks for VirtualBox-4.2.2-81494-MultiArch_amd64.msi

Post by socratis »

OK then, marking it as [Resolved].

But just as mpack said, there's no way that this is a new install, or that there was another piece of software that you install (Vagrant, Docker, Minikube, Kitchen, etc.) that installed VirtualBox under the hood.