Puppy Linux 32bit shared clipboard doesn't work, 64bit works fine Bionic 8.0, very light weight

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
wat
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu-various

Puppy Linux 32bit shared clipboard doesn't work, 64bit works fine Bionic 8.0, very light weight

Post by wat »

Been experimenting with Puppy Linux since its so light weight. The 32bit shared clipboard refuses to work even after guest additions are installed

Everything works on 64bit with guest additions installed.

Live cd has to be mounted on ide optical not sata for some reason, so have to add two virtual optical drives to install guest additions addon as live cd image stays mounted with a frugal puppy linux install, which again makes it light weight.

Mouse integration works even before guest additions install.

Win 10 1903 64bit host
Virtualbox 6.0.8r130520
http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download

Anyways, as far as I have found, its the lightest weight Ubuntu based distro that works in virtualbox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Puppy Linux 32bit shared clipboard doesn't work, 64bit works fine Bionic 8.0, very light weight

Post by socratis »

Are you trying to install the Guest Additions (GAs) on a LiveCD? That will definitely not work. Try to install it properly, install the GAs and watch for any errors during the installation.
wat wrote:Mouse integration works even before guest additions install
If you've selected the "USB Tablet" option in the VM Settings » General, mouse integration is irrelevant. It's only used for PS/2 pointing devices, in which case the GAs are indeed needed.

I'm sorry, but which exactly Puppy Linux ISO did you get, can you post the link?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wat

Re: Puppy Linux 32bit shared clipboard doesn't work, 64bit works fine Bionic 8.0, very light weight

Post by wat »

Puppy linux default "install" is "frugal", a hybrid live cd/user data on drive mode, so I think the additions get saved.

Yea I guess usb tablet is the default, I never noticed, but for other os's like Android Prime OS 4.2 I remember mouse integration not working.

Puppy Linux distro downloads are here
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-bionic/
http://puppylinux.com/download.html
Last edited by socratis on 21. Jun 2019, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

wat wrote: a hybrid live cd/user data on drive mode, so I think the additions get saved.
The GAs are not "user data", they're kernel modules. Unless they have a way of loading on the fly user-installed kernel modules, I don't see how that would work. Of course there are ways to find if the GAs are installed and loaded, did you try to see what's actually loaded?

I asked for the specific link as to remove the ambiguity. Is this the ISO you're working with?
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 0-uefi.iso
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wat

Post by wat »

https://i.imgur.com/OPu4aBA.png
ctrl + N

Yes I tried the 32bit bionic and the 64bit bionic

The 32bit one is less functional, no clipboard.
Last edited by socratis on 22. Jun 2019, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure what your picture is supposed to show me, that "a" version of the GAs is installed? Sure. The ones that come prepackaged with Puppy and are version 5.2.0. Not the ones that if you had installed would be 6.0.8. Thanks for proving me correct.

I asked you twice already to confirm the ISO. I'm trying to help you, but it seems you don't want help. I think I'll take a bow...
wat

Post by wat »

If I knew I wouldn't have to post here at all.

I posted the iso's twice.

It's literally there in the first link, the 32 bit and 64 bit. I didn't direct link the file because there is only one iso in each folder and I specified bionic, and there is only one bionic.
Last edited by socratis on 22. Jun 2019, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

wat wrote: I didn't direct link the file
Why not? Too difficult? I said, I want to remove the ambiguity, I even posted the link to the ISO and I was expecting a "Yes" or a "No, that's not the one", but I couldn't get even that? By the time that you posted the instructions, and not the ISO directly, things could have changed, does that make sense or not? Anyways, I'm downloading (yet again) http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 0-uefi.iso, I hope that's the one you mean.

And as I said, if you're running the LiveDVD version, with the old, pre-installed GAs, do not expect the clipboard to work; you have to install the thing locally. Or, alternatively, you could install the matching VirtualBox at your host; then the main VirtualBox and the pre-installed GAs into Puppy would match, then you might have a working shared clipboard.