Debian Host / Win 10 Guest / Missing graphical elements / 3D weirdness

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jgillmanjr

Debian Host / Win 10 Guest / Missing graphical elements / 3D weirdness

Post by jgillmanjr »

Hello!

Certain elements of an application I'm using aren't displaying when 3D acceleration is disabled.

Now, the reason that I had 3D acceleration disabled was because when it was enabled, I was getting weird shenanigans.

Basically, the actual controls were in the "same place", but the image seemed to have flipped along the horizontal axis. However, the previously missing waveforms do seem to appear now, however (and in roughly the correct spot).

(I would link to screen shots, but apparently since I'm new, I can't do that yet).

Information

Host: Debian Stretch // 16G Ram // Graphics information (from lspci):
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107GLM [Quadro K1100M] (rev a1)
Guest: Windows 10 x64 // 8G Ram

VirtualBox Version: Version 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.7.1)

I've attached logs for both runs: with and without 3D acceleration.
Attachments
VM Logs.zip
(70.18 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
jgillmanjr

Re: Debian Host / Win 10 Guest / Missing graphical elements / 3D weirdness

Post by jgillmanjr »

Well, as an attempted work around, the imagelinks.txt file has a description of the image and the link to it.

[ModEdit: The contents of the "imagelinks.txt" have been inlined, even though they contain links to 3rd party sites, just to skip an extra step or two]

What's missing with no 3D acceleration: https://i.imgur.com/wdIgX3P.png

An example of what's missing: https://i.imgur.com/KwbOY0E.png

What it looks like with 3D acceleration: https://i.imgur.com/ybSVqMP.png
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:00.682483   VMSVGAEnabled    <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
You have the VBoxSVGA option selected under the VM Settings » Display » Graphics Controller. Change it to VBoxVGA (no middle "S") and see what happens.

But, as soon as I saw the images, I suspected a known culprit:
00:00:00.855997 VMSVGA3d: OpenGL Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
00:00:00.855997 VMSVGA3d: OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile
Intel's GPUs are known to have 3D artifacts, they're not the best hardware or software in the world...

PS. Next time, please attach the images locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message...

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jgillmanjr

Post by jgillmanjr »

PS. Next time, please attach the images locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message..
Acknowledged. They were too large to upload and I wasn't sure of the best way to downsize them without making them useless, so I originally tried inlining them from imgur only to find out that wasn't even possible.
You have the VBoxSVGA option selected under the VM Settings » Display » Graphics Controller. Change it to VBoxVGA (no middle "S") and see what happens.
I will give that a shot later when I get a chance to poke at this again.
But, as soon as I saw the images, I suspected a known culprit:
Intel's GPUs are known to have 3D artifacts, they're not the best hardware or software in the world...
So admittedly I didn't even know that this laptop had any kind of NVIDIA GPU on it. Doing some searching, Ubuntu apparently uses the Intel GPU by default (so I'm wondering if Debian does the same).

So this has me wondering two things:
  1. I wonder if it might be beneficial to install the actual NVIDIA drivers (as compared to just using nouveau) and set the host to use that.
  2. If there's a way to have the host stick to using the Intel GPU, but basically "pass through" the NIVIDIA GPU to the guest.
Again, I greatly appreciate your assistance on this - it's given me a few more launching points for research/testing.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. I wouldn't know which of the drivers to install, I'm mainly an OSX person, but I would try to figure a way to force use the Nvidia GPU, no matter which drivers you have.
  2. Don't even think about GPU passthrough. There's only 1 person that's ever done it, and his knowledge of VirtualBox was so deep, that he was building his own homemade version from the trunk and applying his own patches.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jgillmanjr

Post by jgillmanjr »

So it appears that while there are some weird glitchy side effects with the app window when using VBoxVGA, it more or less seems to do the trick.

I've installed bumblebee, and despite using optirun, it still appears to be using the Intel GPU for opengl - so I'm still seeing if I can't get that issue resolved.