E_INVALIDARGS unfixable

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
someanonomousdev

E_INVALIDARGS unfixable

Post by someanonomousdev »

Recently I deleted a Virtual machine I had because I had exported it into an OVA. The trouble was, when I tried to import it, I got an error: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057).

I read somewhere that this error can be caused by insufficient disk space. This, however, was definitely not the case for me, because the the OVA itself was only 300MB, and my disk had over 130GB free.

The next thing I tried was unzipping the OVA, as it is stored as a tarball. I go a vmdk and an OVF out of it, but importing the OVF just gave me the same error.

The DiskSection of the OVF wanted only 50GB, so I still couldn't understand why the error was happening. I had enough space.
<DiskSection>
<Info>List of the virtual disks used in the package</Info>
<Disk ovf:capacity="53687091200" ovf:diskId="vmdisk1" ovf:fileRef="file1" ovf:format="http://www.vmware.com/interfaces/specif ... mOptimized (http://www.vmware.com/interfaces/specif ... mOptimized)" vbox:uuid="bd181fc7-d759-44be-b050-64265c742f96"
</DiskSection>
The next thing I tried was using clonehd on the vmdk, to convert it into a VDI (vboxmanage clonehd "pathtomyvmdk" "out.vdi" --format VDI). This comes up with a VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED error.

I tried using convertfromraw on the vmdk to convert it to a VDI that way, and it works, but I don't really know what to do with the VDI after this. The vdi wont mount (nor will the VMDK).
VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR
(0x80BB0005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {the uuid}
Callee: IVirtualBox {another uuid}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
So I really don't know what to do at this point. I really badly need this Virtual machine, and this is the only backup I made of it.
In case this matters, I will post the beginning of the vmdk file.
after

Code: Select all

KDMV   @ €    ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ€
so on with nulls and stuff, for a few lines
version=1
CID=9a821d78
parentCID=ffffffff
createType="streamOptimized"
# Extent description
RDONLY 104857600 SPARSE "Win10-Machine-disk001.vmdk"
# The disk Data Base
#DDB
ddb.virtualHWVersion = "4"
ddb.adapterType="ide"
ddb.geometry.cylinders="16383"
ddb.geometry.heads="16"
ddb.geometry.sectors="63"
ddb.geometry.biosCylinders="1024"
ddb.geometry.biosHeads="255"
ddb.geometry.biosSectors="63"
ddb.uuid.image="ee687454-2c34-4517-907b-a6154a7b950d"
ddb.uuid.parent="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
ddb.uuid.modification="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
ddb.uuid.parentmodification="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
ddb.comment=""
Thank you to anyone who can provide some help/insight into why this is happening.
Last edited by socratis on 7. Jun 2019, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: E_INVALIDARGS unfixable

Post by socratis »

someanonomousdev wrote:because I had exported it into an OVA
How? From where? With what options/switches?
Where did you store the OVA? In what medium? What's the filesystem of that medium? FAT32 perhaps?
someanonomousdev wrote:I read somewhere that this error can be caused by insufficient disk space
Not really, "Invalid Argument" can be a barrage of things, it's the most generic error code.
someanonomousdev wrote:I tried was using clonehd on the vmdk ... This comes up with a VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED error.
Again a generic error. Before trying to do something with the OVA, like converting it, I'd start by looking at the output of the following two commands:
  • VBoxManage showmediuminfo <YourVMDK>
    VBoxManage internalcommands dumphdinfo <YourVMDK>
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
someanonomousdev

VBoxManage showmediuminfo: VBoxManage: error: Could not get the storage format of the medium 'path.vmdk' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)
VBoxManage internalcommands dumphdinfo <YourVMDK>: VBoxManage: error: Format autodetect failed: VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED
I used export appliance.
Thank you for your help :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

First, all that "convertfromraw" does is add a VDI header onto whatever file you provide. It is intended to be used with raw dumps of a physical hard drive, i.e. done with "dd". In your case you provided a stream optimized VMDK (i.e. a zip compressed vmdk). I don't know of any guest OS that can boot from a primary disk containing the data for a zipped VMDK, including VMDK header.

VirtualBox supports compressed VMDK, though it's best not to try to boot a VM from it. I would have expected cloning it to VDI to work, though of course the target drive has to be large enough for the VDI, plus that file "Win10-Machine-disk001.vmdk" has to exist, with exactly that name, in the same folder you read that VMDK header from. Does it?

What is that "path.vmdk" nonsense? Are you obfuscating your posts here, or did you really type that?
someanonomousdev

that win10-machine-disk001.vmdk does exist.
I am obfuscating my posts when I write path.vmdk, that is really the full path to the vmdk.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

someanonomousdev wrote:I am obfuscating my posts when I write path.vmdk
Occasionally we see issues with commands not working correctly due to non-ASCII characters or spaces in paths. If you don't give full commands (as you typed them) and the exact text of error messages then we probably won't be able to help.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
someanonomousdev

I am confident that it is not due to this; I have tried this on many different computers, all with standard filesystems, and triple-checked spelling and stuff.
If you think this is a corruption issue, that is my thinking now.
Is 300mb normal vmdk size?