Constant 100% CPU load for Windows 10 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Cone

Constant 100% CPU load for Windows 10 guest

Post by Cone »

My Windows 10 guest causes a constant 100% CPU load. The performance monitor is aware of the load, but not a single process seems to be causing it. I installed Windows 10 quite a while ago but hardly used it due to this problem, so there is hardly any software at all on this system. I have tried out a lot of things that didn't work:

* Updated VirtualBox
* Updated, re-installed, uninstalled guest additions
* Windows updates
* Changed a lot of virtual box settings (like chipset)
* Created a brand new VirtualBox configuration, only re-using the disk image
* Tried tweaking a lot of Window settings

Nothings seems to affect this problem in any way. My other Windows 7 guest is running without problems. The CPU load also doesn't seem to go down if you let the system run for a long time.

I am entirely out of ideas on this and I seem to be the only person on the internet with this problem. Does anyone still have an idea?
Attachments
resource-mon.png
resource-mon.png (34.11 KiB) Viewed 5327 times
taskmanager.png
taskmanager.png (32.91 KiB) Viewed 5327 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Constant 100% CPU load for Windows 10 guest

Post by socratis »

I don't see the processes being sorted by the CPU percentage; in the Resource Monitor you have the "Average CPU" to sort by, and I don't know what you have in the Task Manager. Sort them by CPU.

On my Win10, I usually see the updates and the .NET optimization as the usual culprits. It really punishes the CPU when there's nothing else going on...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BerlinUser

Post by BerlinUser »

@Cone: This sounds exactly like the problem that I have with my VBox. Would be so great if there was a solution to this.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

With that amount of info provided your chance of a solution is 0% +/- 1%.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:your chance of a solution is 0% +/- 1%.
:lol:

"BerlinUser" has their own thread (High CPU on Win10 (1803) guest on Ubuntu 16.04), but I guess that's not enough, they have to dig into and wake up other threads as well... :roll:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RedScourge

Post by RedScourge »

socratis, perhaps you should change your username to Diogenes, because Socrates would have surely deduced that BerlinUser was commenting here solely to be helpful to Cone, and then would have chosen to remain silent instead of indulging in self-serving snark.
BrianBlaze
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windwos 8.1/10/11

Post by BrianBlaze »

If it's anything like what I see...

It seems to go down after some time. What kind of specs are you giving your guest? This seems to only occur on 2 cores for me.
Attachments
my CPU usage in guest
my CPU usage in guest
ahundredpercent.png (93.01 KiB) Viewed 4023 times